tough question on percentages-Pls help

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

tough question on percentages-Pls help

by mathewmithun » Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 am
If each customer purchases exactly one copy of the book, did the book sell at least 500 copies overall on the online book selling portal?
1. the portal found that after selling 5 copies on a particular day, the percentage of customers who ultimately buy the book after viewing it increased from 46% to 47%.
2. On a particular day the portal found that 10 consecutive customers who viewed the items purchase some other book and the percentage dipped from 47% to 46%.

OA is DI have no idea even how to start this question... :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:140 members

by Mike@Magoosh » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm
Dear mathewmithun

Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

This is a particularly challenging question! I also think: it's not the best written DS question. What is the source? I would consider it questionable.

Prompt: If each customer purchases exactly one copy of the book, did the book sell at least 500 copies overall on the online book selling portal?

Other than specifying (one customer) = (one book) ---- which would be exceedingly difficult if it weren't the case! --- this is a straightforward prompt.

Statement #1: The portal found that after selling 5 copies on a particular day, the percentage of customers who ultimately buy the book after viewing it increased from 46% to 47%.

Let P = The percent of customers who ultimately buy the book after viewing it
P = (# who buy)/(# who view) * 100

Before the day they sell 5 books, let's say Y people have looked at the book, and X of them have bought it, and X/Y = 0.46 (the percent as a decimal). ===> (a) X= 0.46*Y

Then, that day, five people both look at it, and buy it, so both X and Y increase by five, and the new ratio is (X + 5)/(Y +5) = 0.47 ==> (X + 5) = (Y + 5)*0.47 ===> (b) X + 5 = 0.47*Y + 2.35

Plug (a) into (b):
0.46*Y + 5 = 0.47*Y + 2.35
5 - 2.35 = 0.47*Y - 0.46*x
2.65 = 0.01*Y
265 = Y

This tells us --- 265 people looked at the book, and 47% bought it, on that particular day we know 500 copies had not been sold. But the prompt question is not clear --- is it asking about sales up to this particular day, or sales in general? The fact that the prompt is wildly unclear makes this a totally unsuitable DS question, despite the sophisticated mathematics.

Statement #2: On a particular day the portal found that 10 consecutive customers who viewed the items purchase some other book and the percentage dipped from 47% to 46%.

This statement will share the same ambiguity problem with the first, but I'll show the math just so you understand what you would do.

Before that day, X/Y = 0.47 ===> (c) X = Y*47

After that day, X/[Y + 10] = 0.46 ===> (d) X = 0.46*Y + 4.6

Set (c) and (d) equal.

Y*47 = 0.46*Y + 4.6
0.01*Y = 4.6
Y = 460

Up to that particular day, 460 had viewed it before that day, and 470 had viewed it by days's end, and 46% of 470 have bought it --- less than 500.
Again, though -- are we being asked about sales on this particular day, or in general.

My friend, there are many sources of GMAT test prep questions -- some of them are excellent, just as good as the OG, and some of them are pig's slop. I think this question is in the latter category.

Here's a rigorous DS question about percents:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/31
When you submit your answer, the following page will have the video explanation. Each of our 800+ questions has its own video explanation.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mathewmithun » Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm
Hi Mike

Thanks for the response. The question made sense after going through your solution and you had explained it very well. Thank you once again. I was also relieved to know that you felt the question was not the best question for GMAT although it was challenging. That really takes pressure from my shoulders. I saw this question in Nova GMAT prep book specially designed for Data sufficiency. Since I was not performing well in DS, I purchased this sloppy book...
Thank you once again for the great support...
:)
Trust in the Lord and do good,dwell in the land and live on it