Tough One

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Tough One

by 2010gmat » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:08 am
7. During the 1980s it became clear that soliciting private funds was far more efficient for environmentalists who sought financial aid than to go to state or federal agencies.
(A) that soliciting private funds was far more efficient for environmentalists who sought financial aid
(B) that for environmentalists who sought financial aid, it was far more efficient to solicit private funds
(C) that for environmentalists seeking financial aid, private organizations were far more efficient to go to
(D) for environmentalists seeking financial aid, going to private organizations was far more efficient
(E) for environmentalists who sought financial aid, private organizations were far more efficient

I know this one is posted on the forum but there is no proper reasoning....

Can the experts pls help...

Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:55 am
This question tests us whether you know:
1.idiom- X more than Y (X and Y are parallel)
2.Parallelism
3.We need 'that" after 'clear' So D and E are out.
Between A,B and C
(A)'Soliciting private funds' is not parallel to 'to go to state '. So the comparison itself is faulty.
(B) Correct- 'to solicit private funds' is parallel to 'to go to' and therefore the comparison is grammatically correct. Also the expression 'more' is as close to 'than' as possible. Placement of the phrase 'to solicit private funds' between 'more' and 'than' is required for proper and clear comparison is therefore necessary in this sentence.
(C)'private organizations were far more efficient to go to than to go to' is awkward expression and illogical.

Hope it helps.
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

GMAT Score:740

by 2010gmat » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:14 am
thanks a lot that was helpful

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:10 am
it is seldom that "to do" is used as a subject of a sentence.

to do is to do

this pattern is only pattern I see on gmat inwhich "to do" is subject