Totally UNIQUE application. How do I seal the deal?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
So it seemed laughable for me to even apply to top business schools. My GPA was a 3.2, and blemished with several D's and F's. My GMAT a 610--the quant on only the 48th percentile.

But I did, and got into two 2nd tier schools, and am now waitlisted at my top choice: Cornell. I have been enamored by their program since I first started looking into MBAs, but I didn't think I had a chance. I applied after the last deadline, to make things tighter. But somehow I got called for an interview.

The interview was fantastic. My interviewr introduced me to the admissions director, and two other members of adcom. But I was waitlisted--its a competetive year and I applied late.

My primary weakness is my quant score. Im trying to retake the GMAT, and I'll give it my best shot, but I know there's no guarantee it will go up. So how else can I stand out, and get moved from the waitlist?

I have a sordid history--juvie hall as a teen, abusive background. Worked my way through school, started my own company. That's what got me where I am. But I need just a little bit more?

Any advice would be much appreciated. This would be my biggest dream come true, and I think I can go out there and make a difference if I get this MBA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun May 11, 2008 3:40 pm
Dear Sakina,

If you have not already, I would encourage you to contact the admissions office to discuss your waitlist status and determine what additional information could help your case. While it could just be a timing issue as you applied late, there are probably some things you could do to move closer to the top of the waitlist. Perhaps you could submit an optional essay demonstrating your quantitative aptitude through professional experience?

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by wawatan » Mon May 12, 2008 8:07 pm
sakina...you are truly an inspiration to me! i'm in a similar situation ...low gmat score but wish to target the best B schools...i haven't even reached 600 but I do want to apply to the top 10 schools

best of luck! :D