Toppings Problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Toppings Problem

by akshatgupta87 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm
Q.) Beth's pizzeria offers x different toppings. What is the value of x?

(1) There are an equal number of different pizzas that can be made with (x − 2) toppings as there are different pizzas with just 2 toppings.

(2) If the pizzeria were to add one additional topping, the number of different pizzas that could be made with 4 toppings would double.

Someone pls. explain..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:523 members
GMAT Score:770

by Anurag@Gurome » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:44 pm
akshatgupta87 wrote:Q.) Beth's pizzeria offers x different toppings. What is the value of x?

(1) There are an equal number of different pizzas that can be made with (x − 2) toppings as there are different pizzas with just 2 toppings.

(2) If the pizzeria were to add one additional topping, the number of different pizzas that could be made with 4 toppings would double.

Someone pls. explain..
(1) x - 2 = xC2, which cannot be solved further.
So, (1) is NOT SUFFICIENT.

(2) (x + 1)C4 = 2* xC4
(x + 1)(x)!/4!*(x - 3)(x - 4)! = 2 * (x!)/(4!)(x - 4)!
(x + 1) = 2(x - 3), which can be solved for x.
So, (2) is SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:11 pm
This is a permutation combination problem becuase and the base formula for those is n!/(n-r)! r! - here we put the r! in the denominator becuase it is a combination problem and order does not matter - therefore we have to divide out any duplicated groups.

1) the nubmer of pizzas that can be made with 2 toppings is x!/(x-2)!2! and the number that can be made with x-2 toppings is x!/(x-(x-2)!(x-2)!
These two equations are the same.
Thus 1 is insufficient and the answers are BCE. same functionality:

(x!)(2)/(x-4)!4! = (x+1)(x!)/(x-3)!(4!)

here I know that you can multiply the top number of a factorial times the rest of the number - thus (x+1)! = (x+1)(x!) etc..

therefore = 2(x!)/(x-4)!4! = (x+1)(x!)/(x-3)(x-4!)(4!) - cancel out to get x+1 = 2(x-3) which can be solved

So I believe the answer is B.

you don't have to actually solve the equations, just know whether they can or cannot be solved.
Last edited by tpr-becky on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 pm
Tough one.

IMO B
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 am
tpr-becky wrote:This is a permutation combination problem becuase and the base formula for those is n!/(n-r)! r! - here we put the r! in the denominator becuase it is a combination problem and order does not matter - therefore we have to divide out any duplicated groups.

1) the nubmer of pizzas that can be made with 2 toppings is x!/(x-2)!2! and the number that can be made with x-2 toppings is x!/(x-(x-2)!2! which equals x!/2!2!

these two equations are equal according to the statment so x!/4= X!/(x-2)!2 you can then divide out the x! and get 1/4= 1/(x-2)!(2) thus 1/2 = 1/(x-2)! and so (x-2)! = 2 so x is equal to 4

Thus 1 is sufficient and the answers are AD

2. same functionality:

(x!)(2)/(x-4)!4! = (x+1)(x!)/(x-3)!(4!)

here I know that you can multiply the top number of a factorial times the rest of the number - thus (x+1)! = (x+1)(x!) etc..

therefore = 2(x!)/(x-4)!4! = (x+1)(x!)/(x-3)(x-4!)(4!) - cancel out to get x+1 = 2(x-3) which can be solved

So I believe the answer is actually D.

In fact the technique to this one is to see that it is asking for the value of a variable so you know it is about solving equations -

each statement gives you a complete equation with only one variable and no squares, therefore they are solveable.
Hello becky, Aint u gonna get two values X = 4 from 1 and x = 5 from 2 ...
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 am
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
akshatgupta87 wrote:Q.) Beth's pizzeria offers x different toppings. What is the value of x?

Someone pls. explain..
So, (1) is NOT SUFFICIENT.

(2) (x + 1)C4 = 2* xC4
(x + 1)(x)!/4!*(x - 3)(x - 4)! = 2 * (x!)/(4!)(x - 4)!
(x + 1) = 2(x - 3), which can be solved for x.
So, (2) is SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Havent understood your stat #1 ... pizzas are equal
Let there are 2n pizzas... n has chosen x-2 and rest n has chosen 2 => nCx-2 = nC2 (n is unknown)
Using 2: we have only two groups 1 with 2 and other with x-2
x-2+1 = 4 or so 2* nCx-2 = nC x-1

Think this is a very simple problem x-2+1 = 4
Got n =4; x = 5 .. B is sufficient
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 am
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
That's not what Statement 1 tells you. Statement 1 says that (x)C(x-2) = (x)C(2).

It's useful to understand the following: say you have 10 people. If I ask "how many committees of 2 people could I choose from this group of 10 people?" that's exactly the same question as "how many committees of 8 people can I choose from this group of 10 people?" because if I choose a committee of 8 people, that's exactly like choosing 2 people to *not* include in the committee.

So if you have x people (or, as in this question, pizza toppings), the number of selections of 2 people you can make is always exactly equal to the number of selections of x-2 people you can make. In combinatorial notation, (x)C(2) is always equal to (x)C(x-2). Similarly, as long as x > n, (x)C(n) is always equal to (x)C(x-n). So in this question Statement 1 tells us nothing new at all; it might as well say '5 = 5'.

tpr-becky wrote: 1) the nubmer of pizzas that can be made with 2 toppings is x!/(x-2)!2! and the number that can be made with x-2 toppings is x!/(x-(x-2)!2! which equals x!/2!2!
The second part of the above isn't right. The '2!' in the denominator is wrong; it should be (x-2)!. The number of pizzas that can be made with x-2 toppings is equal to x!/{ [x - (x-2)]! * (x-2)! }. Simplifying, you find this is equal to x!/[ (x-2)! * 2! ], which is exactly equal to the number of 2-topping pizzas you can make, and Statement 1 tells us nothing we didn't know already.

tpr-becky wrote: each statement gives you a complete equation with only one variable and no squares, therefore they are solveable.
I've mentioned in many posts why I find this the most misleading advice that prep books give test takers. There are very simple situations where one can, 'at a glance', tell how many solutions an equation, or system of equations, will produce. In any remotely sophisticated situation (one involving factorials, say), however, it is usually very difficult to tell 'at a glance' how many solutions you will have. If you don't 'do the work', you'll get a lot of GMAT questions wrong.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 am
I do not disagree with any of the above math, you are correct that I miswrote my formula.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA