Top 10 BSchool

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Top 10 BSchool

by southernusa » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Stacy,
My goal is to get into a top 10 BSchool. However, I don't feel like I have enough recent accomplishments to get me there - here is a snapshot of my profile:
College (Undergrad) - 3.0 Overall GPA Criminal Justice Major/3.5 GPA in Major - Sorority Financial Secretary and Admissions Leader - Peer Counselor, Youth Mentor, Homecoming Queen Runner Up.
Post College Graduation: 10 Years in HR as a recruiter. I've recruited for top companies in the Software Industry, Telecom Industry and Healthcare Industry.
I was laid off from my first recruiting job in 2001 and then I became a contract recruiter from 2002 - 2005 for various companies. In retrospect, I should have taken a permanent job and climbed the ladder but contracting gave me an opportunity to experience different companies and travel. I finally took a long term recruiting contract in 2005 with my current company. I did so well that I was promoted and hired permanently after 2 1/2 years from a contract recruiter to a recruiting manager role where I manage a team of three.

I feel like I work hard and aim to exceed expectations in every way that I can. On a daily basis, I hire people who have tangible track records of success. However, as a recruiter, I don't have a tangible track record (other than saying that I was promoted). I don't have a quota, nor any numerical data that i can discuss to demonstrate my excellence on the job. Although I get compliments from my clients....I just don't have any awards or accolades to put on my bschool applications (not yet anyway). I will be a career switcher, moving from HR to CEO of a global entertainment company that I start.

As for Extracurriculars: I've always volunteered, since a youth. Right now I'm on the board of directors for a youth leadership development organization but I dont have any stories to share from that (not yet anyway)...no other sports or triathlons or Mount Everest Climb's... :)

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to 'sell' what I do with no tangible track record of success....other than compliments from my clients, boss and colleauges (which will come out in recommendation letters). By the way, I took the GMAT once and scored low (400's)...I"m studying now and my goal is to make a 700 which my teacher said is possible with very rigorous study.....With no specific accomplishments to share other than promotions and high client satisfaction, how can I make myself appealing to a Stanford/Harvard/Columbia?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 am
Dear southernusa:

I think you are underselling your professional accomplishments and community activities. It is hard to promote yourself, and you do not always view your accomplishments as others do. While you might not have a new title every two years, or a way to necessarily quantify your results, you do have client feedback to reference. I would encourage you to ask trusted clients, colleagues, supervisors, subordinates and/or friends to give you 2-5 things about you they consider strengths or accomplishments. You might be surprised what they say. Additionally, you are on the BOARD of an organization--you must have valuable skills that are needed in that capacity.

For top 10 schools, you will absolutely need to score above a 650 (over 700 ideal) on your GMAT to present a strong academic profile. I would encourage you to try to visit the campuses and meet with school representatives at every opportunity. If there is a MBA tour or information session near you, then be there to meet the representative to make another positive impression.

Best of luck to you,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by cjiang16 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:10 pm
Good luck