Too late to change "specializations" on submitted

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690
I submitted my part-time app to a top part-time program in May and I will hear a decision regardless by end of this month. As I browse the online forums, the school is starting to send out admittance notices.

I came to realization that as I was filling out the 3 optional specializations, I probably over-thought the logics behind it. I am an engineer and for my short-term goal, I put down using mba training to become a project/program manager and for long-term goal, I wanted to get in a management position to lead/over-see R&D team either positioned in the far-east or having a heavy presence there.

I picked data/models/decisions, strategy, and leadership/change management. My reasoning was that these specialization would ultimately get me into my long-term goal.

But now as days go by, I started to think my specialization should have been supply chain/global sourcing, Entrepreneurial/innovation, and possibly product management (entrepreneurialship because I would look into growing/starting/managing a division).

Is it too late at this point to write a letter to the adcom and explain my "error" and wrong thought process in choosing the specializations? I will probably get rejected anyway, in that case I simply won't attend any MBA this year and will regroup/reapply in 2 years (I am 32 already).

Any help would be appreciated....

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 pm
Again, you may be overthinking the situation. If your previous selections make sense, even if they do not align exactly with what you want to do, don't sweat it. This would not be a reason to reject your application. They simply want to see if you can cobble together a believable vision that aligns with their program. While "correcting" your selections might make you feel better, it will probably not increase your chances of admission, and may run the risk of communicating that you are not ready because you didn't fully think through your vision. Sit tight and see what happens. Good luck.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options