TOEFL Vs Verbal

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

TOEFL Vs Verbal

by aroon7 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 pm
Hi,

I took GMAT today and got just 580 (Q50/V20)...
This is the second time I take the test.
First time I got 530 (Q42/V21/AWA 5.0).

This time I really prepared so hard, but ran out of time for the last questions in verbal!

Will my chances for admission increase if I supplement my score with a good TOEFL or IELTS score??
Because the deadlines for the colleges are in May 09 and have no time to take GMAT again. These colleges require TOEFL or IELTS...

I am aiming at mid tier colleges in Europe:

RSM, Netherlands
Cranefield, UK
GISMA, Hannover
SDA Bocconi, Milan
St. Gallen university, Swiss

My profile:

Indian/26yrs/Male/ IT professional/3.5 yrs work experience till date
UG 76% Electrical Engineer

I have significant international exposure: 1.5 years in Germany and 4 months in Mexico (I am still in Mexico).
I can speak a little German (completed level 1 in Goethe Institute)

Do you think if I have a chance to get into any of these universities with this profile.

Thanks so much
Aroon

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:34 am
Hello,

That GMAT score is indeed a hurdle. At least the quantitative score is better – adcoms look for evidence of quantitative ability.

Anything that counteracts the low verbal score will help. A good TOEFL will help, strong essays will help, recommenders emphasizing your communication skills will help, any good undergrad grades in coursework involving writing will help (though this latter seems unlikely with the Engineering program). You also could write a short optional essay explaining how the score does not reflect your actual verbal ability – but be sure to give concrete evidence.

Nevertheless, based on the info provided I think acceptance at the programs you mention would be difficult, though not impossible. You would certainly need a compelling application. I would have to know more about your profile overall to truly evaluate the impact of the score on your chances at these programs. Your career progress and specific industry/function, your goals, and your extracurricular achievements/involvements are all factors that would shape such a determination.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com