"to do" vs "for doing", help, pls

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

"to do" vs "for doing", help, pls

by tanviet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:49 pm
New genetic evidence—together with recent studies of elephants’ skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features—/provide compelling support for classifying /Africa’s forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.

C.provides compelling support to the classification of

D.provides compelling support for classifying

E.provides compelling support to classify

Q 11, og 11

Warning that computers in the United States are not secure, the National Academy of Sciences has urged the nation to revamp computer security procedure, institute new emergency response teams, /

D, and create a special nongovernment organization for taking

E, and create a special nongovernment organization to take

Pls, explain the use of “for doing” and “to do” in 2 above questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 am
I am afraid these are idioms. Some verbs take gerunds, some take infinitives. Please find the attached file I compiled from different sources. Welcome to the SC idiom paradise! Enjoy! :)
Attachments
Infinitives Gerunds and Idioms.xls
(150 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Zipper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 am
-xa-xa- this is truly helpful.

ask to add it to the resources if it is not already there.

Thanks logitech

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:15 pm
the matter is different

"provide" and "create" are not in the list, so they, some person say, can be followed by a "to infinitive"

however, because of "idiom of support" , "for doing" somtime is ok

if you apply the list to this case, you see you can not

so, pls, comment this thing, pls. I am not clear friends.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Onell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 am
duongthang wrote:New genetic evidence�together with recent studies of elephants� skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features�/provide compelling support for classifying /Africa�s forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.

Q 11, og 11

Warning that computers in the United States are not secure, the National Academy of Sciences has urged the nation to revamp computer security procedure, institute new emergency response teams, /

Pls, explain the use of �for doing� and �to do� in 2 above questions.
I am really confused.Can anyone please help me out w.r.t the usage of Gerund & infinitives

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:16 pm
Onell wrote:
duongthang wrote:New genetic evidence�together with recent studies of elephants� skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features�/provide compelling support for classifying /Africa�s forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.

Q 11, og 11

I am really confused.Can anyone please help me out w.r.t the usage of Gerund & infinitives

Thanks
I will provide you with some pointers to understand the difference between the two constructions - to verb & for verb-ing.
To Verb = is used to state specific intent.
For verb-ing = is not used to state an intent.

Now lets take the first sentence in your post:
1: New genetic evidence provides support for classifying abc.
2: New genetic evidence has been collected to classify abc.

Sentence 1 implies that new genetic evidence was collected and after analysis it appears to provide support for abc.
Sentence 2 implies that the purpose of collecting new genetic evidence is to classify abc. This sentence shows the direct intent and hence the use of "to verb".

I will suggest you do similar analysis on the second sentence as well.

As always meaning or context of the sentence is the guiding light!!

Thanks,

Payal

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Kajiabeat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:56 am
It should not be an issue of support for/to, it is a problem of provide...for/to.

and provide should be matched with "for" for no doubt.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 am
D
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by teal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm
Does someone also have some list of reporting verbs that always need 'that' after the verb such as The patterns shows that, indicates that, etc?

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm
e-GMAT wrote:
Onell wrote:

Q 11, og 11

Thanks
I will provide you with some pointers to understand the difference between the two constructions - to verb & for verb-ing.

Sentence 1 implies that new genetic evidence was collected and after analysis it appears to provide support for abc.
Sentence 2 implies that the purpose of collecting new genetic evidence is to classify abc. This sentence shows the direct intent and hence the use of "to verb".

Thanks,

Payal
Thank you e-gmat. This problem worry me a lot.

e-gmat, pls, give me 2 more example to ilustrate that "for doing" is not used to show intent.

in the "provides compelling support for classifying" , Can I understand that "for doing" modify "support" not the verb.

So, can I say that "for doing" can not modify the verb of the clause?
Can I say that " to do " is used to modify the verb.

your explanation is great but, pls, give us more example.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mattpat » Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 am
as someone rightly said, "to + inf" expresses intention (could be substituted by "in order to/so as to),

eg - I study English to increase my chances of working in the USA.
- I cycle to get home quicker.

On the other hand,

"for + gerund" expresses or describes the specific "use" or "purpose" of an object:

eg - My English books aren't that great for learning modern-day English.
- A bike is the best thing for getting around quickly.

Generally, we use "to+inf" with a verb (I study / I cycle), whereas we use "for+gerund" with nouns (or such like, e.g. verbs as subjects: "running is wonderful for keeping fit")

Often, both ways are as good as each other, but the emphasis is slightly different:

-I use my bike to get home quicker (emphasis is on my "using" the bike - i.e. the verb)

-My bike is for getting home quicker (emphasis is on the bike and what it is used FOR - i.e. the noun)

Followed by:1 members

by Spidy001 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:30 pm
New genetic evidence....

you either provide support to someone or provide support for something

Hence C and E are wrong. Answer is D.

Followed by:1 members

by Spidy001 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm
Warning that computers....

D create ......for is wrong
E create ...... to is the correct idiom (always use infinitive form to show the intent)

Answer is E.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by josh_nsit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 pm
duongthang wrote:
e-GMAT wrote:
Onell wrote:

Q 11, og 11

Thanks

Thanks,

Payal
Thank you e-gmat. This problem worry me a lot.

e-gmat, pls, give me 2 more example to ilustrate that "for doing" is not used to show intent.

in the "provides compelling support for classifying" , Can I understand that "for doing" modify "support" not the verb.

So, can I say that "for doing" can not modify the verb of the clause?
Can I say that " to do " is used to modify the verb.

your explanation is great but, pls, give us more example.
If the intent of first verb(main verb in the clause) is to 1) prove the second verb or 2) reach the goal expressed in second verb or 3) express intent for second verb(infinitive), then use the infinitive form, otherwise use form than infinitive form.

This can be proven by a general grammar principle with infinitives, which says that infinitive verb form expressed like "in order to [infinitive verb form]" can be reduced to "to [infinitive verb form]". Note that "in order to" is a setting or plot here suggesting intent or goal. Putting "in order to" helps in isolating milk(correct choice) and water(wrong choice) in the sentence.

Eg. Japan must overcome serious obstacles in order to keep its economy in gear. -->can be reduced to--> Japan must overcome serious obstacles to keep its economy in gear.
We study atoms in order to find out how world works. --> can be reduced to-->We study atoms to find out how world works.

Now, let us see both of the problems, by applying the above logic, but by some reverse engineering. Apply "in order to" in place of "to" and check the validity and meaning.

New genetic evidence - together with recent studies of elephants' skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features - provide compelling support for classifying Africa's forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.
D. provides compelling support for classifying
E. provides compelling support to classify

Place "in order to" in place of "to" in choice E to check.
It will become "Evidence provides compelling support in order to classify elephants".
Clearly, the intent/aim of first verb provides is not to classify(2nd verb/infinitive form) the the elephants from the preceding sentence, so E can be discarded and D becomes winner.

Let's take second example for this reverse engineering technique.

Warning that computers in the United States are not secure, the National Academy of Sciences has urged the nation to revamp computer security procedures, institute new emergency response teams, creating a special nongovernment organization to take charge of computer security planning.
(D) and create a special nongovernment organization for taking
(E) and create a special nongovernment organization to take

Place "in order to" in place of "to" in choice E to check. E will become "NAS has urged the nation to create a special nongovernment organization in order to take charge of computer security planning. This makes perfect sense as first verb create has been done with the intent to take charge of (2nd verb/infinitive). This clearly makes E winner.

Hope This Helps