Time management-

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Time management-

by xsmail321 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 am
Time management-
Hey... i was curious how come, whenever I do GMAT REA for verbal i have to rush reading thru the passages but when i do a normal test, i always end up having an extra 10 min to spare even though i'm deliberately going slower?

Also, for the math, i usually end up having to rush really fast.

.. in particular
kaplan- very fast on math, slow on verbal
800 score - plenty of time on verbal and math...

is there any consistency? any suggestions as to which to go fast or slow on?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat May 02, 2009 2:19 am
Moving this post to the Strategy forum.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:420

by anthony.j » Sun May 03, 2009 7:04 am
Hey X,

Funny, I have the same problem, i guess that is what you can call it. I always seem to have 10 - 12 minutes left when I get to the final 4 questions. I never really understood why. I would like to think I am making up time on the SC questions and it is providing me with extra time at the end. I rather have the extra time as it provides me the chance to really nail the last 4 questions.

As for the math section, my timing is about right. I usually do not have much time left.

Best of luck on your test.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by deepoe » Sun May 03, 2009 7:55 am
I got the same as anthony :lol:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 am
I think timing strategy is completely different for Math than it is for Verbal. Personally, I actually needed to watch my time in Math, whereas for Verbal I just did whatever I wanted.

The nature of the questions is very different. In math, if there is a complex question, you can easily spend 4-5 minutes trying to solve it. Even for easy questions, you can easily spend a lot of time ensuring that your guess is correct. If time were infinite, I would probably spend about 3 hours or so on the Math section! Hence you have to learn to work quickly, have confidence in your abilities, be accurate, and bite the bullet (skip questions that are too hard).

Verbal is totally different. Yes, they give you 4 more questions to solve, but I read a question, take a few moments to think about it, and then I either know it or I don't. There is no point in spending extra time to mull it over.

Reading comprehension can take longer. Obviously you will need to take a few minutes to read over the whole thing, and then when you read individual questions you may need some time to isolate the area of the passage that is relevant.

things may be different for non-native speakers, but approaching the final questions of Verbal, I usually have lots of free time left. And I DO try to stretch out that time, but as I said, I either know the answer or I don't. Plus after a few hours in the exam centre, I'm either to get out and know my marks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

excellent reponse

by xsmail321 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 am
excellent responses..

i agree... verbal: p-l-e-n-t-y of time.

math- gotta hustle.

Just for those who are unclear, what i'm saying is that for certain "brand" GMAT tests, i find i have no time for the math and others i finish early. For kaplan GMAT tests, i have to rush the math. For the 800 score math tests, i can go signigicantly slower.

Does ne1 know of any "real" gmats that i can practice on?

Re: excellent reponse

by anthony.j » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 am
xsmail321 wrote:excellent responses..

Does ne1 know of any "real" gmats that i can practice on?
Not sure on what you mean by "real" but there is the GMAT prep software and I Mannhatten GMAT provides you with 6 free online CAT tests if you purchase one of their books. (I'm looking at the book now so I know this is correct) I also received a link for a practice test that will provide you feedback on how you did. I believe the cost is $25 to take the test. Here is the link https://www.gmatfocus.com/

Best of luck on your studying!

Time Management

by suchit.verma » Tue May 05, 2009 7:27 am
Hi Guys,
I do not have a clear cut idea about how to proceed in the test , i.,e it would be great if some one can provide a strategy to attempt the test.

Suchit

by anthony.j » Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 am
Hey Suchit,

Check out the message boards and the sticky post. There is a lot of valuable information out there.

Quick strategy, take a practice test and learn what areas you are weak in. From there start studying and working on the problems. Learn why and how you got a problem wrong.