Thought the GMAT beat me yet received a 760

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

Thought the GMAT beat me yet received a 760

by Ttronn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm
760 (49Q, 47V, 6.0 AWA)

This thread will be entirely about preparation as my actual experience in the test center is not significantly different from most others.

When studying for standardized tests in the past I always implemented the tried and tested "multiple practice test" approach (162, 163 on LSAT attempts) and was left feeling like I wasn't reaching my full potential. Most people I've spoken to and read about on forums similar to this one will suggest that the best way to prepare for these tests is to open with a dianostic test and use those results to focus your study efforts on the subjects you performed poorly on and then after some study its advised that you start doing timed practice tests regularly until you're performing with confidance at a level which you are happy with. Many people will tell stories of completing 15-20 (or more!) practice tests during their study regimen. This is the process that I used while studying for the LSAT (very similar to the GMAT) and what guided me to scores in the 86-88th percentile range.

Now, I'm not trying to say that this is a poor method at all. This works for MANY people and is popular for a reason but I just wanted to highlight how I prepared differently for the GMAT and why I think it worked well for me and could benefit others should they utilize this method.

I began my GMAT study period with a dianostic (everyone should do this!). After learning a little bit more about what my strengths and weaknesses were I purchased Powerscore's Verbal Bible, Manhattan GMAT's full set of Verbal and Quantitative publications and the Official Guide (big practice problem booklet)I then decided to devise a plan to maximize my potential without burning out in the process. I was sure to give myself plenty of time between my study start date and my prospective GMAT test session so that if I did feel overworked or like I was going to start burning out that I could walk away from the books for 7-10 days and then come back to it fresh.

I spent the first portion of my studies working ONLY with the preparatory material (PS, MGMAT books) and worked on only the practice questions that they provided in their publications, leaving the OG problems for a point in time when I was more prepared for them. After reading all of the books and reviewing the topics I felt less comfortable with I moved on to the practice questions (still have not done a practice test). I completed all practice problems in the OG12 and made note of the questions I answered correctly, the ones I guessed on, and the ones I answered incorrectly. As many of you know the OG questions increase in difficulty as you get farther into each section. So, based on the length of the section and the way I felt the difficulty was increasing, I divided the questions of each section into 4 categories (Beginner, Intermediate, Difficult, Very Difficult) and made a point of keeping track of my wrong answers and making note of how they corresponded to topics (i.e: Difficult Geometry Question, Intermediate "Must be True" question) and I evaluated my new "Strengths and Weaknesses".

After this was done I went back into the books to work further on the topics that gave me problems, specifically at the difficult and very difficult levels. After I felt comfortable with my understanding of the topics conceptually and in practice I set a date for my GMAT for three weeks in the future (still yet to write a practice test). At this point I began working on practice tests, I wrote two in total (one immediately and another 10 days later). I performed an in-depth review of correct and incorrect answers in the two days following the test and then I went back into the study aids to further examine the topics that troubled me conceptually to attempt to improve my performance not through repetition but through a better understanding.

Overall, the only thing I wanted to get out of the practice tests was a sense of timing and endurance and whether I'd have any issues in that regard. Had timing been an issue I would have likely done a few more tests. In the end this particular study method consisted of a strong focus on understanding rules/concepts before ever using them in a practice problem or timed test setting. I think this worked for me because it allowed me to build a very high level of confidence with the material and a feeling of comfort and control before I ever exposed myself to the pressures of the "timed" evaluation. I believe the extensive debriefs of BOTH correct AND incorrect answers at the practice problem and timed test stage factored greatly into my success because it gave me a very accurate feel for what I was doing well and why and what I was doing wrong and why. By doing the practice tests at the very end of my preparation I think I was able to properly use them for what they were meant to be, a method to measure your timing and endurance (and that's it). In my opinion (and in my personal experience) there are several risks associated with relying too heavily on timed practice tests to evaluate your readiness: You can perform above your ability on a test or two and have a false sense of confidence and prematurely write the GMAT, you can perform more poorly than you expected and become demoralised and set back your prep altogether, or you can do them improperly (not the right amount of break time, focus etc.) and your scores will not accurately represent your readiness for the test. By ensuring that you have studied the material thoroughly at the conceptual level first I believe you can avoid some of these pitfalls associated with taking multiple practice tests too early in your study regimen.

Anyway, that was significantly longer than I'd expected it to be. I apologize to those you read the whole and took nothing of value from it.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:24 pm
Great score...best of luck for apps...

by aspire_mba2013 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 am
Hey Ttronn !!!
Congratulations, on achieving the great score.
Last edited by aspire_mba2013 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can take a horse to the water but you can't make it drink !!!

by redmark » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:30 pm
great score!!!!

Can you describe the breakdown that you got on your practice test scores leading up to the exam?

Did they fluctuate a lot or was it pretty consistent with what you got on the test.

GMAT Score:760

by Ttronn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:05 am
Thanks for the responses everyone.

With regards to my practice exam breakdowns, I remember I received scores of 710 and 720 (in that order) on the practice exams but don't remember anything specifically about them aside from that. I suspect that I was on the lucky side when it came to the difficult questions I had to guess for on the real GMAT exam as my experience working with practice questions and tests indicated I was performing at the ~700 level and not into the 99th percentile.

Now I'm in the process of writing countless essays and trying to narrow down my list of prospective schools for R2 application

by gsbjake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm
Awesome score Ttronn, congratulations!