The 'which other schools have you applied to' question

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680
Some schools do ask this in their online applications. I am wondering how do we answer this one?

Obviously if the school asking this isn't our top choice program, then we can't mention the top school in the target school list in the answer to this question.

I'm also wondering if this question could be asked during an interview.. Looking for any advice about how one can best answer these questions.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:30 am
This is a question that comes up every year and you shouldn't be afraid of it. The best answer is the honest one. If you are concerned about appearing insensere about applying to a school lower on your target list compared to your other schools, then you should work on a good answer to why you would choose that school instead. One thing many folks don't think about is that the "lower tiered" schools may really want you, so by revealing their competition could encourage them to offer incentives (aka scholarships) to you. In other words, you could leverage your position with a school by being honest and listing the other schools that interest you. Particularly since schools all have their own culture and personality, some schools like to see that you are applying to schools which share a similar approach. For example, HBS and Stanford are polar opposites in culture and curriculum, so in general, people would apply to either one or the other, but not both. If you are applying to HBS and list Stanford as another choice, it might call to question your sincerity, judgment, and due dilligence. In short, I would say tell them where else you are applying, but make sure it makes sense for you and that you can explain why.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hman768 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 am
I think in an ideal world the "expert" advice would be correct. But as those of us that have been filling out applications realize there is no place to "explain" anything. The schools that ask where else you're applying generally only give room for a list. You can't say, "I'm applying to Harvard, but I'm not sure the case method is right for me so I might turn them down." I think the whole process can be more difficult than "just be honest." My advice would be to not lie, but if you're applying now who knows where you might apply over the next 4 months right??

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:41 am
Thanks for your opinions.