the teachers at menlo high school

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

the teachers at menlo high school

by ankurbansal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:51 pm
In addition to providing more course offerings than Willow High School, the teachers at Menlo High School are better trained than those at Willow, having received more information on instructing a multilingual and culturally diverse student body.
(A) the teachers at Menlo High School are better trained than those at
(B) Menlo High School has teachers who are better trained than those at
(C) Menlo High School teachers are better trained than they are at
(D) the teachers at Menlo High School are better in training than those at
(E) Menlo High School has teachers who are better trained than at

Hi, All. This question is from Kaplan 800. I could easily recognize the modifier error this question is testing. However, I got confused between option B and C. any suggestion why one should be preffered over another

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by The GMAT Chef » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:17 pm
ankurbansal wrote:In addition to providing more course offerings than Willow High School, the teachers at Menlo High School are better trained than those at Willow, having received more information on instructing a multilingual and culturally diverse student body.

Hi, All. This question is from Kaplan 800. I could easily recognize the modifier error this question is testing. However, I got confused between option B and C. any suggestion why one should be preffered over another
Pretty simple question to answer: Compare what is comparable.

From the first part of the sentence, "In addition to providing more course offerings than Willow High School'', we can tell that "Willow High School" is the first element of the comparison. So we expect the second element of the comparison to be "Menlo High School", NOT "Menlo High School teachers" as is the case in (C).

By the way, (C) is also wrong for a different reason: "than they are" make it sound like Menlo High School teachers are also teachers a Willow.

Regards,
Dakar Azu from GMATLounge
Dakar Azu is The GMAT Chef. He has sweet recipes for virtually every type of GMAT question, be it quantitative or verbal. Dakar has been teaching the GMAT since 2003 and is the founder of GMATLounge at https://gmatlounge.com , 700-GMAT Club at https://700gmatclub.com ,
and GMATVideos at https://gmatvideos.com .

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:7 members

by grockit_andrea » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:43 am
ankurbansal wrote:In addition to providing more course offerings than Willow High School, the teachers at Menlo High School are better trained than those at Willow, having received more information on instructing a multilingual and culturally diverse student body.

Teachers don't have course offerings; schools do. Therefore, the comparison is between Willow High School and Menlo High School. Also, the entire first part of the section is a modifier, and again, since schools offer courses, that modifier should go next to what it logically modifies: Menlo High School, not Menlo High School teachers.
In choice C, "they" is also a pronoun without a clear antecedent; logically, it doesn't make sense for it to refer to the Menlo High School teachers, but the only possible plural antecedents in that choice are those teachers or "course offerings," neither of which is actually what is being discussed. B eliminates that problem by using the demonstrative "those at Willow," which makes the reference clear.
Andrea A.
Grockit Tutor
https://www.grockit.com