The principal has sought approval for her plan

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770
The principal has sought approval for her plan to grant promotions to only those seventh-grade students proficient in reading without meeting with opposition

A) reading without meeting with opposition
B) reading, having met with no opposition
C) reading, without the opposition of others
D) reading, and has not met with opposition
E) reading without opposition

OA D
simplyjat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sachin.ranjit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:04 pm
B and D seem to fit in.

Has sought approval and "and has not met" go hand in hand. so ans seems to be D. but iam guessing [:)]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
simplyjat wrote:The principal has sought approval for her plan to grant promotions to only those seventh-grade students proficient in reading without meeting with opposition

OA D
a, c, and e seem to be saying that no one is opposing the 7th-graders' efforts to read. while that is certainly nice, it's not the intended meaning, so those choices are out. that leaves us with b and d.

the problem with b is that 'having met with no opposition' implies that this clause precedes the main clause in time - an absurdity, because you can't detect the presence/absence of opposition before the proposal is even on the table in the first place.
in addition, these sorts of phrases - starting with 'having VERBed' - should be placed at the beginning of the sentence, before the main clause.

that leaves us with d, which makes sense both grammatically and logically: she has sought approval, and hasn't received opprobrium from any quarter.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by agautam7879 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:55 pm
Ron,

My reasons for removing E were

The one thing which I dont understand about the and has not met is that because there is a comma before and ( conjunction) and should be succeeded by a subject and verb and over here there is only one verb has and hence i rejected it ...the other reason is when is and is showing parallelism than it should not have a comma before and ...

could you please comment..

Followed by:1 members

by Chitturi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:34 am
Why can't the intended meaning be " THe principal sought for approval plan ......... , with out the opposition of others "

The principal wants the plan to be approved, without the opposition of others.

---------------------------------------------------------------

lunarpower wrote:
simplyjat wrote:The principal has sought approval for her plan to grant promotions to
only those seventh-grade students proficient in reading without meeting with opposition

OA D
a, c, and e seem to be saying that no one is opposing the 7th-graders' efforts to read. while that is certainly nice, it's not the intended meaning, so those choices are out. that leaves us with b and d.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dashmere » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:38 pm
Ron,

D seems to be wrong to me because of my understanding of a ", and"

, and is used for two things, parallel lists in the form of (A, B, and C) or as a conjunction connecting two independent sentences.

In regards to the first, the problem above contains two parallel verbs - has sought and has not opposed; it is not in list form A, B, and C, therefore it should not have a comma.

In regards to the second, problem above also does not contain two independent clauses so it cannot have a , and conjunction.

Therefore: D is wrong.

Unless, my first point is incorrect and when you have two items in parallel, you can still use a , and. However, I know you cannot use a , and for a X AND Y parallelism...