The new OG...?!?!?!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

The new OG...?!?!?!

by Hoyden » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 am
Hey all..

I'm a future-GMAT-taker who is really really really confused abt the resources to use... Esp. the OG... Should it be OG10th ED. or OG 11th ED.? Also, amazon.com indicates that a new OG is to be launched in March 2009...!!! So should I wait for it, since Eric stressed on studying from the latest editions..? I'd like to add that I'm just an above average student planning to take the test in May, so not really sure if I should wait for the new OG...!! :?

Oh, btw, this is by far the best GMAT community I've come across in my month long research... Thanks a bunch to all you guys.. :)
!!....Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 am
Thanks very much for the kind words.

In general, it is best to study with the latest version of OG, however if it means disrupting your planned schedule for taking the GMAT--just use whatever recent version is around.

When I took the GMAT I studied with OG10 even when OG11 was published in the middle of my prep. The differences between the two books are minimal. If you are ready to study now, go with OG11 and don't stress if a new version comes out!

Good luck to you!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Hoyden » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 am
Thx a ton, Eric...!!! :D
!!....Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 am
You're welcome and good luck! Also know, this community is here for you throughout your prep. :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:04 am
the one area in which i've noticed the biggest changes between editions - most notably between the 10th and 11th editions, but also between even earlier consecutive editions that i found in public libraries - is sentence correction. the evolution of problems in other areas of the test is minimal, but the sentence correction problems have undergone noticeable changes between the 10th and 11th editions.

specifically, i've noted that the sentence correction problems are showing a trend away from problems based on elusive, hand-waving concepts such as diction, word choice, concision, and precision, and toward concrete, mechanical concepts such as parallel structure. this is good news especially for non-native english speakers, who must often simply guess between alternatives based on idiom or word choice.

therefore, if you're doing a general study that includes sentence correction, or, especially, if sentence correction is a particular focus of your study, you should use only the 11th edition, and you may even want to consider picking up the new edition when you can get your hands on it. (at mgmat, we're excited to see the changes ourselves.) if your focus is almost exclusively on quant, then it's less important which edition you use, although it's still rational to show a preference for the later edition(s).
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 pm
I'm curious if anyone has any information about the content of the 12th edition of the OG. With the changeover from ETS to ACT, I wonder whether there will be a substantially new (more recently retired) question set in the new edition of the book - if that's the case, the 12th edition should be much more representative of the current GMAT than the 11th.

Of course, there'd be a lot of value to having both editions if the new edition is quite different (and no great advantage if they're substantially the same), so I'd recommend that anyone beginning their study now purchase the 11th edition of the OG regardless.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:770

Re: The new OG...?!?!?!

by cjb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:34 am
Hoyden wrote:Hey all..

I'm a future-GMAT-taker who is really really really confused abt the resources to use... Esp. the OG... Should it be OG10th ED. or OG 11th ED.? Also, amazon.com indicates that a new OG is to be launched in March 2009...!!! So should I wait for it, since Eric stressed on studying from the latest editions..? I'd like to add that I'm just an above average student planning to take the test in May, so not really sure if I should wait for the new OG...!! :?

Oh, btw, this is by far the best GMAT community I've come across in my month long research... Thanks a bunch to all you guys.. :)
Depending on how you learn, you may do well to get both. I've pretty much run out of time now, but if I had the chance, I would love to get my hands on OG10, just to try the quant questions. I've learned after doing enough of them that real GMATPrep / OG questions are a little different than questions from other providers.

This may have worked for me because I prefer learning by doing questions than by reading text-book style guides. You may learn best in a different way.
80% of success is showing up -- Woody Allen

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by aroon7 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:45 am
The new version is already out...
The differences as per MGMAT:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/official-guide-12.cfm

I am planning to take GMAT in May mid...
I am confused as to start with the new OG or continue with the old one.. :?
--------------------------
i am back!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:42 pm
Yes, the new edition has been available for a while. I think it's much improved, despite what some reviews may say. In particular the level of difficulty of the Quant is higher now, and the style of question seems much more relevant to the current test. There are, for example, a few high level number theory questions, something that was missing from OG11, and there are many new word problems, specifically on weighted averages and set counting (Venn diagram and related set problems), which are very popular topics these days. I haven't yet gone through the new Verbal questions in detail - we only recently got copies of the new book this side of the ocean - but I'd recommend attempting the DS section at least.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tauqeer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:40 pm
I have been using OG 11 for the last few months as part of my GMAT preparation. I have found the book really useful in terms of getting an overview of the topics and range of questions. I found the first 100 or so questions quite straightforward, but I still get some of the latter questions wrong under timed conditions (2 mins). Shall I continue to hone in on my weaknesses using OG 11 or now use the new addition?

Any comments / tips would be extremely useful. Thanks!

by EricKryk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 pm
The new edition (OG12) offers many new questions, but in terms of question difficulty, there isn't much difference. Only 1/3 of the questions are new, so most of the OG12 content is in OG11.

the ratio of DS to PS questions has increased. In all, I think the OG12 is better only because it's more recent. Otherwise, the two versions aren't much different.

by T_A_M » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:57 am
Great, thanks EricKryk!

I take it you have used OG12 too? Maybe I will continue with OG11 and when I have exhausted ALL the questions (I mean the abilty to solve each within 2 mins) I will take a look at OG12 and perhaps the more challenging questions. Thanks for the comment though!

So is it fair to assume the content and scope of questions being tested isnt vastly different?