The economic forces that may affect

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

The economic forces that may affect

by imago » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:21 pm
The economic forces that may affect the new public offering of stock include sudden downturns in the market, hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses, loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

1.loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
2.loosening the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the company still being undercapitalized
3.a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
4.a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the still undercapitalized company
5.a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear that the company may still be undercapitalized

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kajcha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:23 pm
Is it B?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sahaldar » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:13 am
This is a parallel construction problem.

The economic forces that may affect the new public offering of stock are

1.sudden downturns in the market
2.hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses
3.loosening the interest rates in Washington
4.fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

correction :
3. loosening of the interest rates
4. a fear

Thus we are left with D & E.
I feel D is correct. It's short.

any other explanation

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 am
Yop! I agree with Sahaldar-its a parallel construction problem but I think A will be the best answer because it is having all the phrases in the same way (I mean verb + ing form). But I did not get the point though Sahaldar has found out that this is a parallel construction problem, he has cut down the first three options i.e. A,B and C.
Request imago to provide the OA! :lol: :wink:
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by raulverde » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:41 am
I believe the answer is E.
D changes the meaning of the sentence.

Official answer please.

by imago » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:39 pm
OA: E

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm
not clear guys..how is E parallel??

E

by brick2009 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 pm
The economic forces --- include sudden downturns...., hedging ...., loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

its definitely not D. .. isn't that passive form?

E is the last man standing:

i dont think..This is a problem of parallel construction.. i think its more of using the correct tenses and maintaining the integrity of the sentence.

the sentence is talking about the factors that will effect the new public offering..

... they include sudden downturns, hedging ..., a loosening and a fear ...

E ties the sentence in a cohesive way.

GMAT Score:620

by gmat620 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 am
IMO E because sentence needs noun to be parallel that is a loosening of... and a fear that ....etc.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by yogesh1984 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:43 am
sahaldar wrote:This is a parallel construction problem.

The economic forces that may affect the new public offering of stock are

1.sudden downturns in the market
2.hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses
3.loosening the interest rates in Washington
4.fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

correction :
3. loosening of the interest rates
4. a fear

Thus we are left with D & E.
I feel D is correct. It's short.

any other explanation
Guess you did everything right! but D is somewhat awkward to say the least. ALso In E fear that makes better sense IMHO...

Followed by:1 members

by naveen451 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 am
IMO E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members
GMAT Score:780

by SticklorForDetails » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm
This is a difficult parallelism sentence because you can't just look at whether the words end in "-ing" or not. After all, "downturns" is not underlined so we have to keep it, and 'loosening" is in some form or another in every answer choice, so we have to keep it. Oh no!

However, not every gerund is the same. The way "loosening" is used in (a) and (b) is as an action, whereas it's treated more as a thing in (c), (d), and (e). Note that "hedging" is also made more thing-like by conjoining it logically to "other investor strategies." Thus it's a strategy, not an action.

Take this example:

"We will win the contest by planning effectively and executing properly." Two actions, here in the form of gerunds, accurately parallel.
"We will contest the results through a protest against the rules and a challenging of the dogma." Two actions, one a noun and one a gerund, still parallel.
"We will lament our failure with crying and a pouring out of our paranoid fears." An action, "crying," and a thing, "a pouring out" -- both gerunds, but not as clearly parallel.

(C) still has "fearing" wrong, and (D) changes the meaning -- it's a *fear* that the company *may* be undercapitalized, not a certainty that it is.

(E) is the correct answer.
Experienced tutors, customized study plans, personalized service.

www.GothamTutors.com/adam.html

by babuxavier » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
IMO E

Action nouns

by Chitturi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 am
SticklorForDetails wrote:This is a difficult parallelism sentence because you can't just look at whether the words end in "-ing" or not. After all, "downturns" is not underlined so we have to keep it, and 'loosening" is in some form or another in every answer choice, so we have to keep it. Oh no!

However, not every gerund is the same. The way "loosening" is used in (a) and (b) is as an action, whereas it's treated more as a thing in (c), (d), and (e). Note that "hedging" is also made more thing-like by conjoining it logically to "other investor strategies." Thus it's a strategy, not an action.

Take this example:

"We will win the contest by planning effectively and executing properly." Two actions, here in the form of gerunds, accurately parallel.
"We will contest the results through a protest against the rules and a challenging of the dogma." Two actions, one a noun and one a gerund, still parallel.
"We will lament our failure with crying and a pouring out of our paranoid fears." An action, "crying," and a thing, "a pouring out" -- both gerunds, but not as clearly parallel.

(C) still has "fearing" wrong, and (D) changes the meaning -- it's a *fear* that the company *may* be undercapitalized, not a certainty that it is.

(E) is the correct answer.
Thanks for your explanation.

Could you explain more abt " "We will lament our failure with crying and a pouring out of our paranoid fears." An action, "crying," and a thing, "a pouring out" -- both gerunds, but not as clearly parallel. "