The Consortium

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

The Consortium

by sunman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:25 pm
Do Asian students qualify for the Consortium?

I couldn't find it on their website. My guess is no, but asking anyway.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm
All students who support the mission of the Consortium (italicized)-

"The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country's top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools' enrollments and the ranks of management.

We will achieve this mission by recruiting for graduate business education qualified U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents from these underrepresented groups, as well as other persons who can demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium's mission and can best assist the Consortium in pursuing this mission."

...qualify to be admitted through the Consortium. It's that simple really. As a Consortium member let me know if you have any other questions about the consortium! I'd be happy to answer them or at least push you in the right direction!

All the best,
Richard
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by sunman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm
money9111 wrote:All students who support the mission of the Consortium (italicized)-

"The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country's top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools' enrollments and the ranks of management.

We will achieve this mission by recruiting for graduate business education qualified U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents from these underrepresented groups, as well as other persons who can demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium's mission and can best assist the Consortium in pursuing this mission."

...qualify to be admitted through the Consortium. It's that simple really. As a Consortium member let me know if you have any other questions about the consortium! I'd be happy to answer them or at least push you in the right direction!

All the best,
Richard
Thanks brother, but your quote just answered my question. I am neither African American, nor Hispanic American, nor Native American.

It's not my fault that my people are such overachievers !! :-(
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:06 am
I think they should re-word the mission because it's not strictly for those ethnic groups. I have classmates who are Caucasian and Asian who are Consortium members. i also have friends at other schools who fit the same demographic. For instance, one of my Caucasian classmates was a teacher who taught and mentored students (not sure in what capacity) who fit the mission's target demographic.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am
money9111, thank you for clarifying what the Consortium was. Around Washington, the "Consortium" term is used as well, but for universities that allow its students to take classes at other institutions. It was confusing me for a bit.

As for Hispanic, any race can claim that heritage if they can show those ties (in particular for Hispanics who don't have a Spanish last name). So someone who is Chinese or Indian based on his/her race and raised in Latin America is Hispanic, based on the American standard. For example, Wallace Loh, the president of the University of Maryland at College Park, is Hispanic because he is racially Chinese, but raised for much of his childhood in Peru, but he is racially Asian, and of course, he can identify with both groups.

by sunman » Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 am
I am an Asian American who has lived in South Africa for six years, and in Taiwan for five. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, and I am capable of speaking/reading Mandarin fluently. I believe that I do bring true cultural diversity and global perspective to the Consortium and its affiliated graduate business schools.

However, I also know that I am part of a largely overrepresented demographic, which is why I asked the question. Would it be worth attempting to apply through the Consortium? Or would I be viewed as someone who is claiming a spot that should be reserved for an African/Native/Hispanic American?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am
I don't know if anyone is still connected to this, but I was hoping someone with experience with the Consortium could tell me more about the commitment to their mission essay. I'm trying to things I've done in my life (outside of just being black) that would be relevant but I can't say I've done anything to change the world specifically for underrepresented racial groups. I've worked with girls and people fro areas that don't really churn out many world leaders, but thats about it.