• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have

This topic has 2 expert replies and 4 member replies

Top Member

The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have

Post
The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance, for most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.

A- for most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.
B- in that most of the orchestra members performed throughout the two hour concert in a poor manner.
C- when most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.
D- despite most of the orchestra members performing poorly throughout the two hour concert.
E- Even though most of the orchestra members made a poor performance throughout the two hour concert.

OA is A

I completely agree with the OA, as it is answering "why the beautiful solo may have salvaged"; however, i don't understand D.

If i change D to - despite the poor performance by most of the orchestra members throughout the two hour concert, the beautiful cello at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance

Is this sentence correct now ?
Can anyone please tell me how to eliminate D ?

Thanks

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Joined
03 Feb 2014
Posted:
2063 messages
Followed by:
133 members
Upvotes:
955
GMAT Score:
800
Post
vinni.k wrote:
I completely agree with the OA, as it is answering "why the beautiful solo may have salvaged"; however, i don't understand D.

If i change D to - despite the poor performance by most of the orchestra members throughout the two hour concert, the beautiful cello at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance

Is this sentence correct now ?
Can anyone please tell me how to eliminate D ?

Thanks
It is the opinion of many, but not all, writers that the noun that represents the agent of the action described by a gerund should be in the possessive form.

So "members performing poorly" ideally would be instead "members' performing poorly".

At the same time, I don't think that that issue is what the creator of this question had in mind as the reason to eliminate D, and other than that issue I don't see any real reason to eliminate D.

This question isn't great. Probably you should just learn what you can from it and not worry too much about eliminating D.

_________________
Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
https://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Post
vinni.k wrote:
I completely agree with the OA, as it is answering "why the beautiful solo may have salvaged"; however, i don't understand D.

If i change D to - despite the poor performance by most of the orchestra members throughout the two hour concert, the beautiful cello at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance

Is this sentence correct now ?
Can anyone please tell me how to eliminate D ?

Thanks
Contrast words such as DESPITE or EVEN THOUGH wouldn't make sense in this context.

The word SALVAGE implies that things were otherwise going badly, but the cello solo fixed it. We wouldn't then put a contrast word between the "salvaging" and the "performing badly." Consider:

I saved your life, even though you were going to die.

This doesn't make sense. The only condition under which it's possible to save your life is if you were going to die, so there is no contrast possible between these two ideas. It only makes sense to say one of the following:
I saved your life because you were going to die.
I saved your life when you were going to die.
I saved your life for you were going to die.

Does that help?

_________________


Ceilidh Erickson
Manhattan Prep GMAT & GRE instructor
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education


Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Legendary Member
Joined
03 Feb 2014
Posted:
2063 messages
Followed by:
133 members
Upvotes:
955
GMAT Score:
800
Post
ceilidh.erickson wrote:
vinni.k wrote:
Can anyone please tell me how to eliminate D ?

Thanks
Contrast words such as DESPITE or EVEN THOUGH wouldn't make sense in this context.

The word SALVAGE implies that things were otherwise going badly, but the cello solo fixed it. We wouldn't then put a contrast word between the "salvaging" and the "performing badly." Consider:

I saved your life, even though you were going to die.

This doesn't make sense. The only condition under which it's possible to save your life is if you were going to die, so there is no contrast possible between these two ideas. It only makes sense to say one of the following:
I saved your life because you were going to die.
I saved your life when you were going to die.
I saved your life for you were going to die.

Does that help?
What about the following?

I saved your life, even though you didn't take care of yourself for most of the last twenty years.

Notice, the sentence is not

Despite the performance not being salvaged, the cello solo may have salvaged the performance.

The sentence says basically

Despite the fact that most of the members of the orchestra performed poorly throughout the entire concert, that great cello solo may have salvaged the performance.

which makes sense, as does the following.

Even though most of the musicians did a terrible job for the entire two hours, the cello solo may have been enough to salvage the performance.

Meawhile, "for" basically means "because" or possibly "as". So A is not great either.

This does not really make sense.

Because most of the members of the orchestra performed poorly for the entire concert, the cello solo at the end may have salvaged the performance.

"As" is a little better, though even when "as" is used, the point of the sentence is still not entirely clear.

The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance, as most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.

Possibly the point is meant to be the following.

As most of the members of the orchestra performed poorly throughout the entire two hour concert, the beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony was the only thing that salvaged the performance.

Still, I am liking "despite" better with each attempt to torture the sentence into making "for" or "as" work.

So while this question proved to be a great conversation piece, and while noticing the difference between "despite" and "for" is useful, this question is not very tight.

_________________
Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
https://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Post
I'll definitely agree with you that this isn't a very good question! I take your point, and "as" is a much better option than "for" or "despite," though I find that GMAT questions that deal with contrast words such as "despite" usually are much more clear about the contrast presented. I doubt we'd see a "despite" in a right answer on a similar question. But... mostly I doubt that we'd see this question at all!

On the real GMAT, you (probably) won't find questions like this, on which even the experts disagree about subtle differences in meaning. Feel free to ignore this one.

_________________


Ceilidh Erickson
Manhattan Prep GMAT & GRE instructor
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education


Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Legendary Member
Joined
03 Feb 2014
Posted:
2063 messages
Followed by:
133 members
Upvotes:
955
GMAT Score:
800
Post
ceilidh.erickson wrote:
I'll definitely agree with you that this isn't a very good question! I take your point, and "as" is a much better option than "for" or "despite," though I find that GMAT questions that deal with contrast words such as "despite" usually are much more clear about the contrast presented.
Makes sense.

_________________
Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
https://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Top Member

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Posted:
414 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
6
Test Date:
2016
Target GMAT Score:
700+
GMAT Score:
620
Most Conversational Member
Post
Marty and ceilidh,

Thank you for clearing the doubt.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review

Top First Responders*

1 fskilnik@GMATH 92 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 51 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 37 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 24 first replies
5 Rich.C@EMPOWERgma... 24 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

172 posts
2 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

118 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

103 posts
4 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

91 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

74 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts