Thank You...670

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Thank You...670

by gabriel16 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 pm
Before I go into detail concerning my most recent test, I would like to thank everyone on this board for your numerous posts and words of encouragement. The GMAT has played a significant role in my life for the past 4-5 months. I am happy to say that the contributions from people on this board, both members and instructors, have made my preparation a lot easier.

As I mentioned in the paragraph above, I have been studying for the GMAT for the past 4-5 months. Throughout my studying I was working full-time as well as running a small business during the weekends so unfortunately I didn’t have the luxury of studying all day every day. However, I have never been the type of person to let excuses get in the way of results. I started my process studying alone and going over all the materials that were recommended to me. Although I think I did a decent job preparing without any additional help, I eventually came to the conclusion that I needed a prep course to help further my studies. I enrolled In the MGMAT online course about 2 months into my preparation. Personally, I think that MGMAT does a wonderful job with their prep materials.

Throughout my preparation I took 4 tests. I cannot remember the breakdown of the tests, but the outcomes were as follows:

MGMAT 1: 530
MGMAT 2: 590
MGMAT 3: 630
GMAT PREP: 570

Needless to say that there was a lot of room for improvement after I had taken my GMAT prep test. Nevertheless, I was determined to get a good score on my GMAT.

After taking the MGMAT course I decided that I needed one final push to the finish line to help me achieve the best score possible (I liken my final weeks to a hockey team scrambling to get one final goal as the time on the power play winds down). As the test day began to get closer, the pressure started to build (not surprisingly). I genuinely believe that playing sports throughout most of my life and into college helped me cope with the pressure, both before and during the test. The pressure that I started feeling in regards to the GMAT was strangely similar to the way I felt before a big game. The funny thing about the feeling that I got before I took the test is that it actually gave me confidence seeing that I have been in similar situations before.

Before I took the test I had a nice breakfast and headed over to my local chapel to say a prayer. As always, I did not ask God to somehow help me get a great score. I simply prayed to God to give me a clear mind and a positive attitude throughout the entire test.

I am happy to report that after the dust settled I ended up scoring a 670 (42Q 40V) on the GMAT. I realize it isn’t a 700+ like most people who post on this board. But I can tell you with complete sincerity that I worked as hard as I possibly could to achieve that 670 and I could not be more proud of my score. Please know that I do not say this in an arrogant way. With the utmost humility and sincerity I could not be more grateful that all of those months of going to the library straight from work, the 8-11 class I took every Monday night, and the countless hours I put in on the weekends finally paid off. I know I might not be able to get into a top 10 or even a top 20 school with my score. However, I am going to put the same effort into my application process that I did in preparing for the GMAT. Who knows, perhaps there is a top tier school out there that needs a workhorse.

Thank you so much to everyone out there who helped me along the way. To those of you who haven’t taken the test yet, I wish you the very best of luck.

“Fight until hell freezes over…and then fight on the ice.”

Gabe

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 pm
Congratulations! 670 is a great score and I'm sure you'll have lots of b-school options. Good job on beating the GMAT!

Followed by:1 members

Re: Thank You...670

by BlindVision » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 pm
gabriel16 wrote:I realize it isn’t a 700+ like most people who post on this board. But I can tell you with complete sincerity that I worked as hard as I possibly could to achieve that 670 and I could not be more proud of my score. Please know that I do not say this in an arrogant way. With the utmost humility and sincerity I could not be more grateful that all of those months of going to the library straight from work, the 8-11 class I took every Monday night, and the countless hours I put in on the weekends finally paid off.

“Fight until hell freezes over…and then fight on the ice.”

Gabe
A sounding ovation to you! Your "workhorse" attitude and description above hit a chord with me. 670 is a very good score! Above all, your diehard attitude gets an 800+ in my books!

Great quote you got, too!
Life is a Test

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 am
Gabe,

With your score, you can break into top 15. If you are lucky, top 10 is also possible. Trust me. Good Luck.

Cheers,
AJ
Last edited by aj5105 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Claret » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:49 am
Well done!

All the very best with your apps !!

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:59 am
Gab,

Great score.. Congratulations. Your efforts have been paid off. BTW all the top ranked B-schools have admitted applicants with score less than yours. So do what you do best - work hard and give the apps your best shot!!!

All the Best!!!
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

GMAT Score:580

congrats

by LFalken » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:39 am
Great score! glad to see all your hard work pay off... I'm in a very similar situation and take my exam in september. I hope to score around that range as well! Good luck on the apps and please let us know how it turns out what places you get into! Thanks!
LFAL

GMAT Score:680

Great Story

by joostinshu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 am
You have a great story and one that resonates with my experience on the exam. I think in many respects the battle you described will be a great resource for you to draw from when writing your application essays. A 670 puts you in the inner 80% with schools in the top 10.

Good luck!

I know people that have gotten into top 5 programs with a lesser score. Like yourself, they had great work experience in a leadership role and were doing a business on the side. Don't sell yourself short with self-limiting beliefs. You should apply to the school(s) of your choice including the top 5 schools.

Congrats!

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 am
I agree with bullshark. There are many applicants who get accepted to the top 10 programs with lowers scores than yours. It seems like the rest of you application is strong so you probably have a good shot at a few top 10 programs. Do not sell yourself short and good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GMAT_KING » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 am
Hi Gabriel16,

Thanks for the post!

You have done great job in GMAT, I appreciate your attitude.
Wishing you good luck for your B-School application. :)

by gabriel16 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 am
Every single person on this board is a champion. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. It is uncommon to find such truly genuine, dedicated people who are all committed to a common goal. Personally, I think that any business school, top 20 included, should feel privileged that the members on this board are considering them.

Regardless of what life throws at you, always remember…

“History is written by those who survive.”

Gabe