test timing and questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

test timing and questions

by gte793n » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:15 pm
Hi,

As I was reading Stacey's post about the myth of getting few questions correct, I just wanted to make myself clear on this topic. (I think it's important enough for you guys to understand that I'm asking this again even though it's posted on the resource section)

So I clearly understood that OG is telling you the truth when it says the earlier questions are not worth any more than the later questions. If so, how should I approach the test? Should I give myself about 2min for each math Qs and about 1.5min for each verbal Qs? I know the question sounds dumb, but the idea of spending more time and getting the earlier questions correctly is coded in my brain that it's hard for me to just get rid it. Obviously PR tests are wrong in this case because they penalize you so much for missing any of the first 10 Qs, more so of the first 5Qs. So this is not the case right? If I were to miss 5 questions total on math, would the score be the same whether I miss the first 5 questions or I miss the last 5 questions? (even if not to the extent of this extreme, but not so much different in score-wise when you miss 5 qs)

Besides the algorithms of GMATprep, are the algorithms of MGMAT tests the closest to that of the real tests? I think PR and Kap use the algorithm of first 10qs rule the world theory...

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:54 pm
Yes, the earlier questions do not necessarily count more than the later questions on the GMAT.

Don't give yourself more than two minutes per question--it's critical for you to maintain your pace on the GMAT. Furthermore, do not strategize around missing any questions on the test--this is simply not an option for you, YOU MUST answer all questions on the GMAT! The penalties for skipping a question are very severe!

So get yourself out of that mindset that you need to spend more time on the earlier questions! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school