Test for AIDS

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

Test for AIDS

by GmatKiss » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:32 am
A new test for AIDS has proved helpful in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply.

(A) in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply
(B) in eliminating blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus
(C) in eliminating from the nation's blood supply blood that is contaminated with the virus
(D) to eliminate blood that is contaminated with the virus from the nation's blood supply
(E) to eliminate blood from the nation's blood supply that is contaminated with the virus

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vanshika21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:11 am
I would eliminate B and E, because they change the meaning of the sentence by putting "contaminated with virus" just after Nation's blood supply instead of "eliminating blood". Now, out of A,C and D, C is awkward and wordy, D uses "to eliminate" which I am not very sure of so i would go with A. What's the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 am
IMO C.

A - in eliminating blood, contaminated with the virus, from the nation's blood supply - This doesn't make any sense along with the non underlined part - modifier error.
B - usage of that makes it as if nation's blood supply is contaminated with virus. - modifier error
D/E - helpful to eliminate is unidiomatic.

This was widely discussed few days back and you had answered it ;). Good one. Check the below link.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/aids-t107788.html#456502
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 am
It should be "helpful in," not "helpful to," which eliminates D and E.

B misplaces the modifier so it sounds like the nation's blood supply is contaminated with the virus.

In A, if we remove the modifying phrase (which we can do: if it's set off by commas, it's nonessential to the meaning of the sentence), so it makes it sound like we're eliminating blood from the nation's supply.

"blood supply blood" is a bit awkward in C, but the meaning is correct.

NOTE: I would choose A as the best answer if the commas around "contaminated with the virus" were not there. That means the modifying phrase is essential to the meaning, so we know which blood is being eliminated.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test