Test day -Time availble for reading instructions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,
Some test day questions:
1. How much time is available for reading instructions?
2. Anecdotally, is 1 scratch book sufficient for the entire test(AWA+Q+V)?
3. If you take a 2nd scratch book at the beginning of the Verbal section, can you get it a few minutes before you start the section?
4. What are the durations of the breaks?

I am working on mastering my pace for the various test sections. I read a very good suggestion on this EXCELLENT forum that I could use the time provided for reading test instructions to do some scratch work (write down pace parameters: "T 75 65 ...Q# 1 5 ..." as a reference. Hence the above questions!

Thanks in advance for your continued support. My test is coming up in 2 weeks!
-Stoic

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:02 pm
1. How much time is available for reading instructions?

I think you get 1 min to read instructions before each section.

2. Anecdotally, is 1 scratch book sufficient for the entire test(AWA+Q+V)?

It depends on your usage. Measure up in a practice exam if knowing this in advance will help. I never used to write in VA section and hence for me one scratch book was sufficient.

3. If you take a 2nd scratch book at the beginning of the Verbal section, can you get it a few minutes before you start the section?

You can ask for the new scratch book when the admin lets you in to take the exam. That way you can be sure that time is not wasted.

4. What are the durations of the breaks?

Currently the break is 10 min between each section. (This incl time to check out and check in back..so conservatively assume a break of 7-8 min)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:19 pm
The instructions for each question type in the test are the identical instructions you can find in the OG. They don't change. Don't spend time reading - you should already know what you're doing with the question types!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me