Tell an adcom that I've been accepted by another program?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all! Thanks to all the help I've received from this forum, I have now been accepted to an MBA program! However, the issue for me is this:

I applied to two different MBA programs. I have a primary choice and a secondary choice. Now, my secondary choice has sent me an acceptance letter so I am in if I choose them. As for my primary choice, I still have to do an interview with them.

My dilemma is this - during the interview with my primary choice, I can tell them that I have already been accepted by my secondary choice or I can keep it a secret. There are pros and cons with telling my primary choice I've already been accepted by another college:

Pro: By telling my primary choice I've been accepted by another college for their MBA program, it shows I am in high demand and that the other college determined I met their standards.

Con: The primary choice may determine that I have another option, and if my primary choice wants to fulfill their enrollment quota, I am a risk for declining an acceptance from my primary choice. I'm not sure how adcoms think, but when I work with recruiters, and I tell a recruiter that I may have a job offer incoming, the recruiter loses all interest suddently because they cannot put my resume forward to the client, knowing that I may decline an offer from their client.

I'm not sure how MBA adcoms think. If anybody has any suggestions on whether I should tell my primary choice during the interview that I have been accepted to another program, or perhaps not tell them and keep it a secret, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 pm
Dear gmattester123,

Congratulations on your admission offer! Your assessment of the advantage and disadvantage is accurate--that is the risk in telling the school. Most folks tend to keep it quiet and let the decision be about the merits of their application. At this point in the admissions cycle, keeping your admission offer to yourself is the conservative approach. Unless you are an above average profile for your primary choice--meaning your GMAT, GPA, quality of experience, etc. are all above average and outstanding--then you probably do not want to give them a reason to pass on you (knowing you have another option). If you are above average, then you have a chance (pending number of seats still available) to get in on the quality of your application.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmattester123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:10 pm
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear gmattester123,

Congratulations on your admission offer! Your assessment of the advantage and disadvantage is accurate--that is the risk in telling the school. Most folks tend to keep it quiet and let the decision be about the merits of their application. At this point in the admissions cycle, keeping your admission offer to yourself is the conservative approach. Unless you are an above average profile for your primary choice--meaning your GMAT, GPA, quality of experience, etc. are all above average and outstanding--then you probably do not want to give them a reason to pass on you (knowing you have another option). If you are above average, then you have a chance (pending number of seats still available) to get in on the quality of your application.

Good luck,
Lisa
Thanks. I've received similar feedback after asking around. I will probably keep quiet about this. Thanks for your advice!