Teacher Reccommendation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Teacher Reccommendation

by yvichman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:41 pm
Stacy,

I have been out of college for 5+ years and recently decided that business school was for me. While in college most of my classes were fairly large 30 or so students for the smallest of classes, and many of my classes were held in large lecture halls with hundreds of students. I never really made an effort for the professors to get to know me as a student.

Now, I am realizing that many MBA programs want professional references, as well as educational references. Since I'm several years out of school, and I never really had a great relationship with any of my professors, what can I do about an educational reference? There is no possible way any of my teachers remember me. What do you suggest I do? I can't possibly the only one with this problem, can I? Would having a few professional references minimize the need for the educational reference?

I appreciate your time in advance. Thank you.

by ptgbeauregard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:15 pm
who is asking for an educational reference?
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)

schools asking for acedemic reference

by yvichman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:04 pm
I am looking to study overseas in Israel. There are only a handful of schools that offer an MBA that teaches in English. The link below is 1 of them. Bar-Ilan University. Another I was looking into is Tel-Aviv University.

https://www.biu.ac.il/SOC/sb/imba/115.htm

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 pm
Dear yvichman,

Most MBA programs do not ask for educational references, so this is interesting. You would absolutely not be the only one facing this problem as most people do not keep up with professors from their undergraduate studies. You might check with the school to get more clarification on how it defines "educational" and whether it is required or preferred. Perhaps there was a staff person from your undergraduate studies you could ask, like a club advisor or academic advisor? Or maybe they would allow an instructor from religious studies or folks from a community activity? If they absolutely require a former professor or instructor from your undergraduate studies, then you should probably ask a professor whose class you did well in for that letter. Then he/she could at least say you scored a high grade in the course.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me