Target Score 550 - still below 500 - 1 week left

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear all,

I started studying for the GMAT on 15th February 2013 until now. I completed all the strategy guides (5th Edition Manhattan) except Integrated Reasoning, Reading, AWA. The basis for my plan was the "60-day GMAT study guide" by "beatthegmat.com" including theory and practise with the Original Guide 13th Edition.
I studied 4-5 days/week for ca. 3 hours after a full-time working day and at the weekends for 5-8 hours.

Actually, I do not know, why I did not improve more and I am kind of disappointed.

There is no possibility to reschedule the exam, because of the deadline of the university.

Scores:

- 1st GMAT attempt: 300 (7.01.2013)
- 1 CAT: 510 (31.03.2013)
- 2 CAT: 450 (21.04.2013)
- 3 CAT: 490 (28.04.2013: quant 30 - verbal 26)

- Should I concentrate on strategy, content and core topics this week or do the 4 CATs left?
- Which are the most frequent quant topics which can appear?
- Does timing influence the GMAT score? Does my score get lower, if I spend on some tasks more than 2 minutes and on some task less than 2 minutes?
- Which strategy whould you advice to handle the reading comprehension questions? (my greatest weakness)

I would be very grateful for some advice, what would be the best strategy for my last week that I took off work.

Thank you in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 am
First of all, you've already seen a 200-point increase in your score. That's fantastic.

If rescheduling isn't an option, then I suggest that you focus on concepts that have the greatest return on investment (ROI). These are concepts that are tested frequently and require the least amount of time to learn. In my opinion, these concepts are:
- Sentence Correction
- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Algebra
- Geometry

In my opinion, CR and RC questions have the lowest ROI. I'm not saying that you shouldn't prepare for them; I'm just saying that improvements take a long time, especially for non-native English speakers. For CR, be sure you understand the various question types.

With 1 week to go, I'd take 2 more practice tests to work on your time management skills and build your endurance.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tsolat » Thu May 09, 2013 3:03 pm
Have the same problem here with 25 days remaid, got the first o e 500 and i need 550 thanks Brent@gmatPrepNow , u guys have the best videos on youtube, im a bug fan

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm
Glad you like the videos, tsolat.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com