Target 760+

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Target 760+

by kulmohan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:57 am
Hi - I have finally decided to sit for GMAT & target is 760+ - need to know the material, put a plan & then continuously work towards it - please provide inputs

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cubicle_bound_misfit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 am
Dude,
my 0.2 danish croner

If you fix yor target now it will be like a noose on your mind.
As I talk with more and more alumni it becomes clear to me that even with 760 or whatever and a weak essay/reco u ain't gonna get it.

So, please prepare with a free mind and rock in a free world :lol:

ATB

CBM
Cubicle Bound Misfit

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 pm
cubicle_bound_misfit wrote:Dude,
my 0.2 danish croner

As I talk with more and more alumni it becomes clear to me that even with 760 or whatever and a weak essay/reco u ain't gonna get it.

ATB

CBM
You're scarring the newbie buddy ;)
but yes! I agree with you cubicle_bound_misfit,

Dear Kulmohan,
While setting up the target is good for motivation it sometimes distracts you.
I would suggest refer some articles, presented in my & eric's blog (where we've reviewed some books for advanced study) also there's two fantastic sticky thread in I just beat the gmat forum by mayo & ngufo

https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-720-95- ... t7227.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by chet steadman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:14 pm
my 0.2 danish croner

ATB

CBM
huh? i was shooting for > 700, figuring i'd have a realistic shot at wharton/stanford/harvard. not realistic?

by zacharyz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:05 am
chet steadman wrote:
my 0.2 danish croner

ATB

CBM
huh? i was shooting for > 700, figuring i'd have a realistic shot at wharton/stanford/harvard. not realistic?
No - you should shoot for >700 for those schools. All cubicle monkey is saying is that a score alone is not going to do it. Many people with high scores get rejected. Generally, it is a good checkmark to on the app to say you have above a 700, and then it doesn't make a difference - comes down to essays, work experience, and undergrad GPA

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 am
zacharyz wrote: No - you should shoot for >700 for those schools. All cubicle monkey is saying is that a score alone is not going to do it. Many people with high scores get rejected. Generally, it is a good checkmark to on the app to say you have above a 700, and then it doesn't make a difference - comes down to essays, work experience, and undergrad GPA

Exactly...
Nice comment!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gogetter08 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:34 am
I understand that for someone like me with 7 yrs work experience, they look at the latter and my extra curricular activities.

But I am curious that between my undergrad and grad GPA, which one has more weightage? Any idea?

GMAT Score:730

by chet steadman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm
gogetter08 wrote:I understand that for someone like me with 7 yrs work experience, they look at the latter and my extra curricular activities.

But I am curious that between my undergrad and grad GPA, which one has more weightage? Any idea?
"weightage" -- i'd be more worried about my gmat and essay

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:47 pm
gogetter08 wrote:I understand that for someone like me with 7 yrs work experience, they look at the latter and my extra curricular activities.

this is going to depend on what you've studied, and where, because the admissions officers are going to be looking for the meaning of your gpa's more than the numbers themselves.
for instance, if your undergrad was engineering at MIT (a program that is notorious for grade deflation, as opposed to the grade inflation that's rampant at so many other schools) and your grad school was in a fuzzy field at a school well-known for cushioning grades, then your undergrad gpa will probably carry more weight (especially if it's high). on the other hand, if your undergrad was in liberal arts at some school whose first reaction from the admissions officer is a quizzical look and a wikipedia search, but your grad degree is from a well-known institution in a field that pertains directly to your business aspirations, then the latter will count for more.

but here's the deal:
you need to CONCENTRATE ON THE WHOLE PICTURE.
in this regard, your application is not unlike the gmat itself, which consists of multiple sections that are disparate in both content and strategy.
if a student came to us and asked a question such as 'which is more important, data sufficiency or sentence correction?', we wouldn't even bother to address the question literally; instead, we'd engage in a process of mental re-framing in which we'd try to get the student to see EVERY component as equally important, each in its own way. it's absurd even to think about trying to determine which of DS and SC is 'more important'.
by the same token, you have to realize that EVERY component of your application is important. but here's a good principle to follow:

you should concentrate the most on 2 parts of your application: whichever part you consider the strongest, and whichever part you consider the weakest.
you see, the strongest part of your application is what's going to set you apart from the rest of the applicant pool - so you should spend extra time glitzing this part up to be extra-impressive.
this means that if you're a gmat jockey (750+ cold on practice tests) with otherwise pedestrian credentials, then you should still dump time into test preparation, because that score will be the highlight of your app. if you've saved the world and started 3 schools for impoverished children in africa, then you should work on playing that up in as dramatic, personal, and poignant a manner as possible.
but you also have to work hard on the weakest part of your application. try to think hard about what is your achilles heel (and EVERY application has one), and then think just as hard about what you can do to fix it. if the problem is low gmat scores, then study ridiculously hard for the gmat, take prep courses, etc. if the problem is lack of strong recommendations, then re-connect with your recommenders, perhaps outside of business time, and establish a more personal rapport.
etc.

good luck!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron