Taking the gmat in a non english speaking country

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I'm living in spain for a half a year and will probably do the gmat here quite soon.
I guess there shouldn't be a difference with taking the gmat in your own country but just to make sure, did anybody ever have a bad experience taking the gmat in another than his native country?

Thanks in advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 pm
The key for you is to look at the testing facility. Do some research to make sure there are no issues, but there is no reason to think you will have a poor experience.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:39 pm
Jim is quite right...the test should be the same, check out the facility (or facilities). You may have more than one option and you could choose the best one...

Are the monitors 12 inch things from the 1990s?

Is the location loud?

Are the staff familiar with the identification you will be presenting (since it will not be what they usually see?)

You can go a long way with a little prevention. Remember, it is all on you make sure that everything is acceptable. There are standards that these places should meet but you are the one going to business school so you have the most at stake.

With that said, I would think that conditions in Spain would not be pretty good at their testing centers...does anyone who has tested there before have anything to say about the conditions?

Of course the best planning does not help when you are taking the test in Munich (as my tutoring student was) and they discover an unexploded bomb from WWII almost directly under the test center...crazy things may happen but take care of what you can control.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ruca » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:17 am
Thanks for the tips!
It would indeed be very usefull if somebody who has done the GMAT in spain could tell me about it?