switching career, need some advice

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

switching career, need some advice

by anu23 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am
Hi
I am a doctor, graduated from Delhi University, India and currently working in Singapore for past 3 years. Not much of extracurricular activities to show in my resume, though have decent community involvements.
Expected GMAT ~720-740. GPA 3.5
I plan to do healthcare MBA or MPH/MBA combined programs
I have looked through few universities suitable for me

Columbia/Michigan/Minnesota/Kellogg/Wharton/Cornell/Bare ston

Of course these are the to notch programs available but I am not sure if I have any chance. Please suggest.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Hello anu23, thanks for your question.

I don't think your background as a physician is an inhibitor at all in the process!

That said, I think your competitiveness will come down to two things:

"¢ The quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon "moments" when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative?
"¢ In terms of your post-MBA goals, your ability to paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps.

I think your career path is different enough that those programs would take notice. One caveat, your GMAT will matter, so my comment is hypothetical based on you actually getting that expected score that you listed!

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php