Swan-NYC-Gum

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

Swan-NYC-Gum

by 2011mbaspirant » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 am
1.Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows that the swans I will see when I visit the Bronx Zoo will also be white.
Which of the following most closely parallels the reasoning of the preceding argument?
(A) Some birds are incapable of flight; therefore, swans are probably incapable of flight.
(B) Every ballet I have attended has failed to interest me; so a theatrical production which fails to interest me must be a ballet.
(C) Since all cases of severe depression I have encountered were susceptible to treatment by chlorpromazine, there must be something in the chlorpromazine that adjusts the patient's brain chemistry.
(D) Because every society has a word for justice, the concept of fair play must be inherent in the biological makeup of the human species.
(E) Since no medicine I have tried for my allergy has ever helped, this new product will probably not work either.
[spoiler]OA is E, why not B?[/spoiler]

2.During New York City's fiscal crisis of the late 1970s, governmental leaders debated whether to offer federal assistance to New York City. One economist who opposed the suggestion asked, "Are we supposed to help out New York City every time it gets into financial problems?"
The economist's question can be criticized because it
(A) uses ambiguous terms
(B) assumes everyone else agrees New York City should be helped
(C) appeals to emotions rather than using logic
(D) relies upon second-hand reports rather than first-hand accounts
(E) completely ignores the issue at hand
[spoiler]OA is E, why not A?[/spoiler]

3.New Evergreen Gum has twice as much flavor for your money as Spring Mint Gum, and we can prove it. You see, a stick of Evergreen Gum is twice as large as a stick of Spring Mint Gum, and the more gum, the more flavor.
Which of the following, if true, would not undermine the persuasive appeal of the above advertisement?
(A) A package of Spring Mint Gum contains twice as many sticks as a package of Evergreen Gum.
(B) Spring Mint Gum has more concentrated flavor than Evergreen Gum.
(C) A stick of Evergreen Gum weighs only 50% as much as a stick of Spring Mint Gum.
(D) A package of Evergreen Gum costs twice as much as a package of Spring Mint Gum.
(E) People surveyed indicated a preference for Evergreen Gum over Spring Mint Gum.
[spoiler]OA is E, why not A?[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members

by GmatKiss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 am
For 1, OA must be B!!:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members

by GmatKiss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 am
For 3,

Given, a stick of Evergreen Gum is twice as large as a stick of Spring Mint Gum.
LARGE is the volume, not the total mass.
A stick of Spring Mint can weigh more than a stick of Evergreen Gum.

So A, is subjected to more investigation. No conclusion can be arrived with A and thus eliminated!

Hope this helps!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

e.

by need720+ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:00 am
OA for last one (GUM) should be B. Please re-check. It can't be E.