Sum of positive integers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Sum of positive integers

by piyush_nitt » Fri May 08, 2009 5:44 am
Sum of positive integers x and y is 72. What is xy?
a. x = y + 1
b. x and y have same tens digit

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 am
This problem is wrong.
Statement 1 doesn't make sense and let me explain why. x and y are both positive integers and it says there that x = y + 1. Since x + y = 72, then it's safe to say that y + 1 + y = 2y + 1 = 72. This means that 2y = 71, with y = 35.5. As you can see, 35.5 is NOT a positive integer. This contradicts the initial assumption.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

Re: Sum of positive integers

by Ian Stewart » Fri May 08, 2009 2:36 pm
piyush_nitt wrote:Sum of positive integers x and y is 72. What is xy?
a. x = y + 1
b. x and y have same tens digit
Agree with Dana - if x+y = 72, then either x and y are both odd, or x and y are both even. Statement 1 says that x and y are consecutive integers (i.e. one of them is odd, the other even) which contradicts information in the question.

If S1 didn't lead to a contradiction (e.g. if it said x = y+2), using it and the information in the question, you'd be able to find both x and y, and therefore answer the question. S2 alone would not be sufficient, since there are a few pairs of values of x and y with the same tens digit that add to 72 (36+36, 35+37, etc), and for each we get a different product xy.

Still, if that's the original version of the question, there's something wrong with the source.
If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com