• Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT

subject less clause

This topic has 3 expert replies and 6 member replies

subject less clause

Post
Question pack SC. So be cautious if you are contemplating to purchase it : )

Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
A. If
B. if it is
C. if they are
D. when
E. when it is
OA is C

In A vs C, why A can't be correct, if it is taken as the case of subject less clause?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
09 Feb 2016
Posted:
105 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
57
Post
1. In the given sentence you should notice that there are two clauses before the first comma: RESEARCHERS SAY is the first, and the rest is an incomplete clause of condition: if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa. The clause is incomplete because it contains is no subject. This absence of a subject means that the subject automatically becomes the noun that appears after the first comma. Thus, THE COLORS becomes the subject, so creating the illogical idea that the colors could be allowed to remove and displace varnish.

2. In option C, on the other hand, the antecedent of THEY in the clause of condition is the subject of the initial clause: RESTORERS. This makes sense. RESTORERS are now the agents who will remove and replace the varnish on the painting. Thus, logically, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

Try our online GMAT prep

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
02 Jan 2016
Posted:
132 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
4
Post
fabiocafarelli wrote:
1. In the given sentence you should notice that there are two clauses before the first comma: RESEARCHERS SAY is the first, and the rest is an incomplete clause of condition: if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa. The clause is incomplete because it contains is no subject. This absence of a subject means that the subject automatically becomes the noun that appears after the first comma. Thus, THE COLORS becomes the subject, so creating the illogical idea that the colors could be allowed to remove and displace varnish.

2. In option C, on the other hand, the antecedent of THEY in the clause of condition is the subject of the initial clause: RESTORERS. This makes sense. RESTORERS are now the agents who will remove and replace the varnish on the painting. Thus, logically, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

Try our online GMAT prep
Thanks for your reply.
Why can't they in C now refers to the subject the colors?
Why can't it now be taken as the case of pronoun in the initial modifier refers to the subject?

Thank you [/b]

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world'€™s population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
In this structure, implied as the subject of the verbless clause is the subject of the following main clause.
Conveyed meaning:
Although [United States citizens are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
If allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS IF-CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
Thus, implied as the subject of the verbless if-clause is the subject of the following main clause (the colors).
Conveyed meaning:
If [the colors are] allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
02 Jan 2016
Posted:
132 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
4
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world'€™s population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
In this structure, implied as the subject of the verbless clause is the subject of the following main clause.
Conveyed meaning:
Although [United States citizens are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
If allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS IF-CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
Thus, implied as the subject of the verbless if-clause is the subject of the following main clause (the colors).
Conveyed meaning:
If [the colors are] allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
thank you so much for your reply.

For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded with a mortar and pestle.

A) Same
B) To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding
C) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is soaking them in liquid after being pounded
D) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is to soak them in liquid after pounding them
E) The flavor of saffron threads can best be extracted by soaking it in liquid after pounding it.

This is a gmat prep question
OA is D

Why not subject of a subject less clause (after pounding them with a mortar and pestle )is the subject of the main clause(The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads )?


According to my understanding, subject less clause begins with subordinate conjunction and is followed by participle , as is the case in D.
what am i missing?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
aflaam wrote:
Why not subject of a subject less clause (after pounding them with a mortar and pestle )is the subject of the main clause(The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads )?

According to my understanding, subject less clause begins with subordinate conjunction and is followed by participle , as is the case in D.
what am i missing?
after can serve as a PREPOSITION.
The play begins after midnight.
Here, midnight is the object of the preposition after.

OA: The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is to soak them in liquid after pounding them.
Here, pounding them is the object of the preposition after.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
09 Feb 2016
Posted:
105 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
57
Post
aflaam wrote:
fabiocafarelli wrote:
1. In the given sentence you should notice that there are two clauses before the first comma: RESEARCHERS SAY is the first, and the rest is an incomplete clause of condition: if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa. The clause is incomplete because it contains is no subject. This absence of a subject means that the subject automatically becomes the noun that appears after the first comma. Thus, THE COLORS becomes the subject, so creating the illogical idea that the colors could be allowed to remove and displace varnish.

2. In option C, on the other hand, the antecedent of THEY in the clause of condition is the subject of the initial clause: RESTORERS. This makes sense. RESTORERS are now the agents who will remove and replace the varnish on the painting. Thus, logically, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

Try our online GMAT prep
Thanks for your reply.
Why can't they in C now refers to the subject the colors?
Why can't it now be taken as the case of pronoun in the initial modifier refers to the subject?

Thank you [/b]
One reason why THEY in option C cannot be taken as referring to the subject COLORS involves the norms governing the use of pronouns. A pronoun, in order to be correct, MUST have a LOGICAL ANTECEDENT, and MUST have ONLY ONE logical antecedent. In sentences in which a pronoun has more than one possible logical antecedent, the meaning produced is ambiguous or even illogical.
Thus, from the point of view of agreement in person and number, THEY could refer either to RESTORERS or to COLORS. Nevertheless, such a reading would be absurd. The only possible LOGICAL antecedent of THEY is RESTORERS. For this reason, THEY in option C cannot be taken as referring to COLORS.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

Try our online GMAT prep

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
22 Feb 2015
Posted:
93 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
4
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world'€™s population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
In this structure, implied as the subject of the verbless clause is the subject of the following main clause.
Conveyed meaning:
Although [United States citizens are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
If allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS IF-CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
Thus, implied as the subject of the verbless if-clause is the subject of the following main clause (the colors).
Conveyed meaning:
If [the colors are] allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
Hello Mitch, had a quick question. Why can we not just take "Although accounting for..." and "If allowed to remove... " as "VERBing" and "VERBed" phrases? Why do we need to bring the concept of verbless clause here?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
bonetlobo wrote:
Hello Mitch, had a quick question. Why can we not just take "Although accounting for..." and "If allowed to remove... " as "VERBing" and "VERBed" phrases? Why do we need to bring the concept of verbless clause here?
I bring up the concept of a verbless clause for the following reason:
Most sources define although and if as subordinate conjunctions: conjunctions that serve to connect a dependent clause to a main clause.
For this reason, many students expect these conjunctions to be followed by a subject and verb and are confused by the verbless constructions in the SCs above.
The concept of a verbless clause allows these students to see the subject and verb that are omitted but implied.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member
Joined
21 Jul 2015
Posted:
698 messages
Followed by:
25 members
Upvotes:
32
Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
760
GMAT Score:
740
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world'€™s population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
In this structure, implied as the subject of the verbless clause is the subject of the following main clause.
Conveyed meaning:
Although [United States citizens are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
If allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
The structure here is as follows:
VERBLESS IF-CLAUSE + MAIN CLAUSE.
Thus, implied as the subject of the verbless if-clause is the subject of the following main clause (the colors).
Conveyed meaning:
If [the colors are] allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
From the Top of this thread, there is a reply to #2 that says -

1. In the given sentence you should notice that there are two clauses before the first comma: RESEARCHERS SAY is the first, and the rest is an incomplete clause of condition: if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa. The clause is incomplete because it contains is no subject. This absence of a subject means that the subject automatically becomes the noun that appears after the first comma. Thus, THE COLORS becomes the subject, so creating the illogical idea that the colors could be allowed to remove and displace varnish.

________________________________________________________

Is the above explanation wrong?


You are using the terminology of Verbless clause, but here we even do not have a subject so How could this be a clause?

I have few more questions is IF___Then___ construction tested here.

P.S. I have an additional question in general. I know the uses of IF___Then___ pertaining to tenses.
IF___Then___ can compare clauses or phrases or anything else also?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Top First Responders*

1 Jay@ManhattanReview 83 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 68 first replies
3 fskilnik 55 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 36 first replies
5 ceilidh.erickson 13 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description fskilnik

GMAT Teacher

199 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
3 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

109 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

95 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

90 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts