Stupid question perhaps?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Stupid question perhaps?

by UCwannabe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 pm
I recently asked a former supervisor to write a Letter of Recomendation for me. He told me he would be happy to write one, but also asked what exactly should he include. I thought this was a good question. What should the letter include besides the obvious, contrived same 'ol same 'ol?

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:40 am
Dear UCwannabe,

Most schools have a recommendation form they want your recommenders to complete which asks specific questions. Many, but not all, will also provide recommenders the opportunity to submit a letter in addition to the form. Basically, the schools want your recommender to provide information on your skills and abilities in the workplace which demonstrate your leadership potential, communication skills, teamwork, and managerial potential. It is also helpful to give your recommenders information on why you want your MBA and what you plan to do post-MBA.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by chipjet » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:41 am
Lisa, what is we don't want out current manager to know we're thinking about changing cities and going to school full time. Won't that affect promotions if we end up not getting in if they know we'll probably be leaving soon?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:25 am
Dear chipjet,

You ask a good question as this is a common concern for a large number of applicants. It is not mandatory to have your current supervisor write a recommendation, but you should disclose to the school why your current supervisor has not written a recommendation (either in the optional essay or in an additional information section). If you cannot ask your current supervisor, then you will want to ask a former supervisor. Schools do want an evaluation from someone who has been your boss. Other potential recommenders are current/former co-workers and people you have worked with on community service/volunteer projects.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me