Study Approach

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Study Approach

by B2MANLEY » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:43 am
All,

I am fairly new to the forum and have found the topics extremely helpful in my preparation. I have one question related to my prep approach. I have the following materials which I feel are enough to get me where I need to be - [1] PR Cracking the GMAT (2009 Version) [2] OG GMAT Review (Version 11) and [3] Cliffs Math Review for Standardized Tests.

I am very strong in the verbal arena. I lack a little in the quantitative area, hence the math review book (which is great BTW). The program I am applying to places more weight on GPA than anything else, including GMAT scores. I met with my advisor and she basically told me that based on my GPA all I needed to do was meet the minimum score requirement for the College of Business at this school and I was in. I graduated with a BS in MIS with a 3.9 GPA. I was told I only needed to get a 450 on the GMAT to get in, so needless to say I don't want to overstudy.

My question is this...understanding I only need a 450 - 500 score, how should I approach my prep. I have started by reviewing the quantiative sections of PR, and supplementing with the Math review for a more deep dive. However, I feel like I am focusing on nothing but math and somewhat ignoring the verbal since it comes later in the book. How did you guys appraoch this? Did you mix the two at the same time, or start with weaker areas and move into areas where you were stronger? Just curious how others approached this.

I appreciate any advice. I plan to sit for the exam on 8/18.

Thanks!!!

by kirube » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 am
Hi,

I would suggest you walk through the introductory part of the Quans in OG. It will give you a clear picture of the concept that will be tested on the GMAT.

All the best for your prepz

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

which school?

by aj5105 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:43 am
@ B2MANLEY ,

Can i know to which school u are applying to?

thanks!
aj

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 pm
Start with a practice test, just to know where you are right now. You can download GMATPrep for free and that gives you two tests. Take one and save one for closer to your real test date. (And, if you want to take more, research what's available from the various test prep companies and buy more tests for the in-between period.)

GMATPrep is the best in the sense that it's got real past test questions and is made by the people who make the real test. It's not so great in that it doesn't do any analysis for you - you need to go do that yourself. So you're going to have to go back through and do a tally to see what types of questions you got right vs. wrong to get a sense of your overall strengths and weaknesses. (Incidentally, if you decide you need more practice tests, make sure that whichever ones you purchase provide detailed assessments / analyses of your tests - you need that data to determine what and how to study!)

From there, you can devise your study plan based on your own strengths and weaknesses, but I would say to mix up math and verbal a little bit. You don't want to spend a month doing nothing but math and then a month doing nothing but verbal. More like: a day on math, then the next day on verbal (or two on, two off).

Also, I applaud you for being practical and just focusing on what you need to do to get the score that you need. A lot of people think they have to get some astronomical score and totally stress themselves out - when it's not even necessary for their particular situation!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by B2MANLEY » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:57 am
Stacey,

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the tests from the GMAC site (GMATPrep Tests). I am planning to take one this weekend to gauge my strengths and weaknesses, and go from there. I like your approach of mixing it up every couplle of days. I will implement this strategy right away.

As far as my focus, you are absolutely correct. I know I only need a 450, so there's no need to kill myself to get a 700. I just need to be comfortably scoring ~500. Bottom line for me is that once I'm in, nobody will care what I got on the GMAT :D

Thanks again for the advice!!!