Students choice of subject Problem

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Students choice of subject Problem

by wilderness » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:33 am
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?

I am trying to solve this as part of the set problem using

n(A u B u C) = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(A n B) – n(A n C) – n(B n C) + n(A n B n C)

and assuming that { n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) } - n(A n B n C) is my answer.

So 68 = 25 + 25 + 34 - { n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) - n(A n B n C) }
Answer : 16.

What is wrong with my approach ? Why can I not do it in the manner I am doing. I have a feeling that I am making a grave mistake because I am not even using the value that 3 people are in all 3 courses. But what is the problem.

Thanks

Followed by:1 members

Re: Students choice of subject Problem

by amitdgr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:20 am
wilderness wrote:In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?

I am trying to solve this as part of the set problem using

n(A u B u C) = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(A n B) – n(A n C) – n(B n C) + n(A n B n C)

and assuming that { n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) } - n(A n B n C) is my answer.

So 68 = 25 + 25 + 34 - { n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) - n(A n B n C) }
Answer : 16.

What is wrong with my approach ? Why can I not do it in the manner I am doing. I have a feeling that I am making a grave mistake because I am not even using the value that 3 people are in all 3 courses. But what is the problem.

Thanks
U came real close wilderness.

The answer u need is not n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) - n(A n B n C), but n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C)
The question says "how many students are registered for exactly two classes" and n(A n B n C) is the number of students who chose all 3 subjects.

ur solution id 16 = n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) - n(A n B n C)
i.e. 16 = n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) - 3
n(A n B) + n(A n C) + n(B n C) = 13

therefore the right answer is 13.

Am i right ?

Amit

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by mbhusal76 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 am
You have used the formula incorrectly:
n(AuBuC)=n(A)+n(B)+n(C)–n(AnB)–n(AnC)–n(BnC)+n(AnBnC)
68 = 25 +25 +34 – (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 84 – (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 87 – (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC))

That yields to :
n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC) = 87 -68 =19

Number of people in exactly two sets is given as = n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)-3n(AnBnC)

= 19 – 3*3
= 10

So the correct answer is 10

Better explanation from ManhattanGMAT:

For an overlapping set problem with three subsets, we can use a Venn diagram to solve.

Each circle represents the number of students enrolled in the History, English and Math classes, respectively. Notice that each circle is subdivided into different groups of students. Groups a, e, and f are comprised of students taking only 1 class. Groups b, c, and d are comprised of students taking 2 classes. In addition, the diagram shows us that 3 students are taking all 3 classes. We can use the diagram and the information in the question to write several equations:

History students: a + b + c + 3 = 25
Math students: e + b + d + 3 = 25
English students: f + c + d + 3 = 34
TOTAL students: a + e + f + b + c + d + 3 = 68

The question asks for the total number of students taking exactly 2 classes. This can be represented as b + c + d.

If we sum the first 3 equations (History, Math and English) we get:

a + e + f + 2b +2c +2d + 9 = 84.

Taking this equation and subtracting the 4th equation (Total students) yields the following:

a + e + f + 2b + 2c +2d + 9 = 84
–[a + e + f + b + c + d + 3 = 68]
b + c + d = 10

The correct answer is B.
Attachments
HistEngMathvenndiagram.gif

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:710

by benjiboo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:59 pm
mbhusal76 wrote:You have used the formula incorrectly:
n(AuBuC)=n(A)+n(B)+n(C)�n(AnB)�n(AnC)�n(BnC)+n(AnBnC)
68 = 25 +25 +34 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 84 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 87 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC))

That yields to :

Number of people in exactly two sets is given as = n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)-3n(AnBnC)

= 19 � 3*3
= 10

For an overlapping set problem with three subsets, we can use a Venn diagram to solve.

Each circle represents the number of students enrolled in the History, English and Math classes, respectively. Notice that each circle is subdivided into different groups of students. Groups a, e, and f are comprised of students taking only 1 class. Groups b, c, and d are comprised of students taking 2 classes. In addition, the diagram shows us that 3 students are taking all 3 classes. We can use the diagram and the information in the question to write several equations:

The question asks for the total number of students taking exactly 2 classes. This can be represented as b + c + d.

Taking this equation and subtracting the 4th equation (Total students) yields the following:

�[a + e + f + b + c + d + 3 = 68]
b + c + d = 10

The correct answer is B.
This is what I did:

>Total amount of students: 68
>History: 25 students
>Math: 25 students
>English: 34 students
>All three classes: 3 students

That means that there are a total of:
>25-3=22 people taking history
>25-3=22 people taking math
>34-3=31 people taking English
>and 3 people taking all three
>This gives us a total of 78 enrollments (22+22+31+3 = 78)

So we have 78 enrollments, but 68 people. We know that (78-68 = 10) 10 people must be enrolled in at least 2 classes. Therefore, the answer is 10.

GMAT Score:1100

by mitzwillrockgmat » Tue May 25, 2010 4:35 am
benjiboo wrote:
mbhusal76 wrote:You have used the formula incorrectly:
n(AuBuC)=n(A)+n(B)+n(C)�n(AnB)�n(AnC)�n(BnC)+n(AnBnC)
68 = 25 +25 +34 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 84 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC)) + 3
68 = 87 � (n(AnB)+n(AnC)+n(BnC))

That yields to :

= 19 � 3*3
= 10

�[a + e + f + b + c + d + 3 = 68]
b + c + d = 10

The correct answer is B.
This is what I did:

>Total amount of students: 68
>History: 25 students
>Math: 25 students
>English: 34 students
>All three classes: 3 students

That means that there are a total of:
>25-3=22 people taking history
>25-3=22 people taking math
>34-3=31 people taking English
>and 3 people taking all three
>This gives us a total of 78 enrollments (22+22+31+3 = 78)

So we have 78 enrollments, but 68 people. We know that (78-68 = 10) 10 people must be enrolled in at least 2 classes. Therefore, the answer is 10.
I get the manhattan answer explaination....i was just wondering if "benjiboo" is correct in his/her approach as well as its a shorter method. let me know! thanks :0)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by silencz » Tue May 25, 2010 6:57 am
It kinda hurts my brain trying to understand any of yalls ways of figuring out the solution to this problem. My method for this problem is far more simple, at least for me.

25 students for 1 subject
25 students for another subject
34 students for the last subject

This problem is somewhat flawed to me in that it does not state that this is the total amount of students that are enrolled in these courses and that this accounts for every student, so I just had to make that assumption.

25+25+34=84 (this shows that there's an additional amount in excess of the amount of students there are)
84-68=16 (this shows the exact amount in excess)

There are exactly 3 students who took 3 classes, so this accounts for 2 additional courses per each one of these students, so 2*3=6.
16-6=10 (10 equals the amount of students that had to take only 1 additional class.)
I'm not familiar in the slightest with the formulas you guys are using...

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 am
For exactly 2 sets formula is ,

P(AUBUC)=P(A)+P(B)+P(C)-[P(AnB)+P(BnC)+P(CnA)]-2P(AnBnc)

68=25+25+34-[P(AnB)+P(BnC)+P(CnA)]-2(3)

-- P(AnB)+P(BnC)+P(CnA)= 78-68

=10

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:710

by benjiboo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm
Use my method posted above. Will save you the headache of all the formulas.