Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts?

by jysail15 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:48 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT a week ago and scored a 700 (Quant 48/ Verbal 38); although I don't know for sure yet, I'm pretty confident I got a 6 on the AWA. In terms of the IR, I didn't study the section much and wouldn't be surprised if I came back with a low score (e.g. 3 or 4). I was hoping to apply to business schools this year, but don't want the IR score to be the thing that holds me back.

To provide a little more context about me, I went to a top 20 liberal arts college (e.g. Amherst, Colby, or Colgate) where I got a 3.45 GPA while double majoring in Government and Middle Eastern Studies. I have worked at an major consulting firm (e.g. Deloitte, IBM, Accenture) for the past 3 years and spent almost a year of that working in Afghanistan doing economic development. The one area I'm a little weak in is the quant skills. Due to AP classes in high school, I passed out of all math course requirements in college and didn't take any.

I really want to go to a top 15 school such as Berkeley, NYU, or Northwestern, but I'm not sure if it's even possible with a low IR score. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MBAApply » Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am
jysail15 wrote:Hi,

I took the GMAT a week ago and scored a 700 (Quant 48/ Verbal 38); although I don't know for sure yet, I'm pretty confident I got a 6 on the AWA. In terms of the IR, I didn't study the section much and wouldn't be surprised if I came back with a low score (e.g. 3 or 4). I was hoping to apply to business schools this year, but don't want the IR score to be the thing that holds me back.

To provide a little more context about me, I went to a top 20 liberal arts college (e.g. Amherst, Colby, or Colgate) where I got a 3.45 GPA while double majoring in Government and Middle Eastern Studies. I have worked at an major consulting firm (e.g. Deloitte, IBM, Accenture) for the past 3 years and spent almost a year of that working in Afghanistan doing economic development. The one area I'm a little weak in is the quant skills. Due to AP classes in high school, I passed out of all math course requirements in college and didn't take any.

I really want to go to a top 15 school such as Berkeley, NYU, or Northwestern, but I'm not sure if it's even possible with a low IR score. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Would you be willing to take 1-2 quant courses (freshman level classes in calculus, stats, algebra, accounting, finance, etc.) through an online extension program like UCLA? I think regardless of what your IR score is, you probably should do that to give the adcom some comfort that you'll be able to handle the quant aspects of an MBA program.

If you're able to do that, then I think you should be competitive for the schools you listed (and I would recommend adding 2-3 more schools to that list, since b-school admissions is a numbers game as well, and you want to maximize your odds by applying to a sufficient number of schools).

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue May 28, 2013 8:33 am
First, congrats on the solid score! Second, IR is unlikely to play a big role in the admissions process this year (but honestly there is no clear indication of this yet). Try not to worry about it now, wait til you get your scores and come back here to report...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jysail15 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 am
MBAApply wrote:

Would you be willing to take 1-2 quant courses (freshman level classes in calculus, stats, algebra, accounting, finance, etc.) through an online extension program like UCLA? I think regardless of what your IR score is, you probably should do that to give the adcom some comfort that you'll be able to handle the quant aspects of an MBA program.

If you're able to do that, then I think you should be competitive for the schools you listed (and I would recommend adding 2-3 more schools to that list, since b-school admissions is a numbers game as well, and you want to maximize your odds by applying to a sufficient number of schools).
Thanks for the advice. I have thought about doing that, but since I likely wouldn't be able to complete all the courses before applying I wasn't sure if that would matter. Also, other schools I'm looking at are Cornell, UVA, Tepper, and UT Austin. Not sure if they'd be any more reasonable with a bad IR score.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by ErinaApphelp » Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 am
Hi,

I believe you have a competitive score to apply in your shortlisted b-schools. Don't bother about IR. The weight-age given to GMAT in US b-school(s) is not more than 15%-20%. You just need to skillfully frame your application essays and showcase leadership style, achievements at work place, professionalism and other aptitudes during the final interviews. If you are able to position well in essays and interviews, then you would stand a chance in top b-school(s), You may try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://goo.gl/lhc05

Let me know if you require any further assistance. You may PM your details for free profile evaluation and school selection.

Regards
Erina

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school
Free Profile Evaluation- https://www.apphelp.co.in/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 am
Hi jysail15,

A very pointed question - what did you DO for the consulting firm you worked for? Consulting, along with a couple of other select professions, can speak volumes to your ability to handle analytics and quantitatiev reasoning.

Depending on what you did, you might be able to easily build a story that not only supports, but highlights, your skills in these areas. As Jim mentioned above, most schools aren't looking to IR just yet so even if you don't have a stellar score there, it probably won't matter much. Therefore, the nature of your experience will play into this. I think you've got a great chance at a top 15 program - don't let the IR portion get you down!

Congratulations on the great score!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 am
Your GMAT score is fine, don't worry about the IR score as MBA Admissions Committees have not been looking at this yet. One thing to add is make sure to emphasize any quantitative aspects of your job and the fact that you placed out of math courses in high school (e.g. if you placed out of AP Calculus you can answer this in a question asking about quantitative proficiency or in the optional section).

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.