strengthener options on assumptions ques.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

strengthener options on assumptions ques.

by vikram4689 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 am
hi,
i have heard that strengthener options on assumptions ques. are commonly used as trap option. can some expert please help me understand how to identify this trap choice. i created following example to present the my point:

argument: because mark's weight is less than 100lbs, he will not qualify for olympics shooting event
option: all atheletes require at least 100lbs to qualify for olympics.

since negation technique works on above choice, how can i identify whether above option is strengthener trap choice on assumption questions or correct answer for an assumption question
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sapana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 pm
vikram4689 wrote:hi,
i have heard that strengthener options on assumptions ques. are commonly used as trap option. can some expert please help me understand how to identify this trap choice. i created following example to present the my point:

argument: because mark's weight is less than 100lbs, he will not qualify for olympics shooting event
option: all atheletes require at least 100lbs to qualify for olympics.

since negation technique works on above choice, how can i identify whether above option is strengthener trap choice on assumption questions or correct answer for an assumption question

Hey there, it is a really interesting question and it baffles me all the time. I am posting one of the discussion from the BTGMAT_CR, which might help you!
Go through second answer by @charu_mahajan. Hope this helps!

https://www.beatthegmat.com/hard-questio ... 32310.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 am
Vikram -

Here is a better example, Conclusion: "Roger Federer is a great tennis player"

A really good strengthen answer is "He has won 17 grand slam titles."

This is clearly a great strengthen answer. This would be enough to convince me that he is a great tennis player. But what about as an assumption? What if you did negate this to say "He has not won 17 grand slam titles?" You can see that we do not need to have him win 17 grand slam titles. He could win fewer and sill be great. So here is a great strengthener that is a very poor assumption.

A great assumption answer is "He can hit the ball over the net." If you were to take away (or negate) this answer you would have "He CANNNOT hit the ball over the net." Well you cannot be great if you are unable to hit it over the net. So that is an assumption that is required by the argument.

So the first example is a great strengthener but does not pass the negation test.

Does that help?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course