strategy

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

strategy

by vinoth15 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 pm
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my strategy. I have about 7 weeks left before my exam.
I would like to take the last week easy and not really study, so that makes it a little less than 6 weeks.

My strategy is as follows:

Phase 1: 4 weeks

Sun to Thursday
Practice Problems

Evening 3 hrs - Practice questions from the New GMATPrep 2.0 Question bank.
Roughly 24 questions a day for 20 days (~500 questions). Complete timed questions in a 1hr and rest of the time focus on review.
Goal: Learn from mistakes(Using Stacey koprince's review techniques)

Lunch and Train ride Home - 1 video from Thursdays with Ron
Goal: Learn specific concepts

Morning 1 hr - GmatPrep 1.0 Question Bank (PS and DS)
Roughly 24 questions for about 20 days (~500 Questions). Complete time questions in 1 hr.
Goal: Crunch through as many questions as possible to practice technique and get exposure to different questions and strengthen areas. If time in the evening review some questions

Friday
Review notes, lessons or questions

Saturday
Practice GMAT Test and review results

Phase 2: 2 weeks

I have taken the afternoon off - so I have afternoon and evening to study

Sunday - Thursday

Afternoon
Redo the New GMATPrep 2.0 Question bank (~ 500 questions). 50 questions for 10 days.

Evening
DO additional GmatPrep 1.0 Questions (PS and DS)(~ 250 questions). 25 questions for 10 days.

Friday
Review notes, lessons or questions

Saturday
Practice GMAT Test

My methodology here is:

Material: GmatPrep and GmatPrep 2.0 contain the latest types of questions.

I noticed a lot of people in their debriefs mentioned that OG is great because it models the type of questions you will see on the test. The problem is that the OG contains easier questions than the test. So the next best thing is to practice with the GMATPrep questions.

Thursdays with Ron:

I have gone through the MGMAT series and Veritas Prep series of books. Ron's videos focus on specific topics that people generally have trouble with.

Study sessions: Evening session is to practice and learn from mistakes, while morning is to practice by brute-force.

I noticed a lot of people either do a large number of questions or they do a small number of questions and take the time to learn from this small set. By doing both types of learning, I can leverage benefits of both. I am only doing Quant in the morning session because verbal can be learned by solving a smaller subset and learning from that. While Quant requires a larger subset of practice questions.

My last two practice test were as follows:

640 (q43,v35) - GMAT Prep 1.0
650 (q42,v37) - MGMAT

My Goal is 700.
Last edited by vinoth15 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vinoth15 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 pm
I am not sure if this strategy is overkill and if its even worth trying or my goals are too aggressive.