Strategy for Verbal

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Strategy for Verbal

by jaiswalamrita » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 am
I'm doing good in quant, ranging from Q47 to Q49 in GMAT prep and other mock tests (looking at my non maths background, - I studied maths till 10th and never studied probability and combinotrics concepts - I dont see myself scoring a perfect Q51).

But I'm confused regarding Verbal scores. In available mock tests namely Kaplan, Manhattan, GMAT club and Princeton, I'm scoring V35 and above (maximum V41 in Princeton) but in GMAT prep in all 4 tests (with IR and without IR) I could score V20 or so. Does GMAT has higher level of Verbal problems than all other mock tests available in market?
My weak area is RC, I take lot of time solving it. As a strategy I try to finish SC soon (within 1 min) so that I'm left with some more time to solve RC and this strategy works in all mock tests. But it does not work in GMAT prep with me. I found that I take around 1 min 50 sec or maybe more time solving GMAT prep SC questions and hence not left with sufficient time to solve RC.

Can experts help me what could be the reason? Please throw some light on this? Am I going to face same problem in actual GMAT?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:05 pm
jaiswalamrita wrote:I'm doing good in quant, ranging from Q47 to Q49 in GMAT prep and other mock tests (looking at my non maths background, - I studied maths till 10th and never studied probability and combinotrics concepts - I dont see myself scoring a perfect Q51).

But I'm confused regarding Verbal scores. In available mock tests namely Kaplan, Manhattan, GMAT club and Princeton, I'm scoring V35 and above (maximum V41 in Princeton) but in GMAT prep in all 4 tests (with IR and without IR) I could score V20 or so. Does GMAT has higher level of Verbal problems than all other mock tests available in market?
Yes, no other test prep materials is as close to GMAT style of questions. So for the verbal part you have to rely only on GMAT Prep mocks.
jaiswalamrita wrote:My weak area is RC, I take lot of time solving it. As a strategy I try to finish SC soon (within 1 min) so that I'm left with some more time to solve RC and this strategy works in all mock tests. But it does not work in GMAT prep with me. I found that I take around 1 min 50 sec or maybe more time solving GMAT prep SC questions and hence not left with sufficient time to solve RC.

Can experts help me what could be the reason? Please throw some light on this? Am I going to face same problem in actual GMAT?
Frankly yes. You might need to rework on your strategy so that it works with GMAT style questions. Moreover if you are aiming a V35, then you have a long way to go w.r.t. verbal preparation.

If you are non native speaker, then you should spend more time on SCs, 1 min is not enough. So improve your timing in RC and CR. For both check out Thursday's with Ron's videos - the best thing out there for non native speakers struggling with verbal part. Watch all the videos related to RC, then CR and then time permits, you can watch other videos as well. Here's the link -> https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/