Strange but very important help needed :(

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Strange but very important help needed :(

by mzkfrk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 am
Ok, desperate call here. Have been preparing since sometime now, however lately i realized that I suffer from a pathetic syndrome. I have this problem of absentmindedness and that too of highest degree. This is specially when I am reading. I don't know how serious this issue will be taken but I am assured that this is a very critical issue and if treated will help me score much much better.

Whenever I read, my mind starts wandering towards un-related things e.g. any recent discussions, gadgets that I want to own, to entrepreneurship, to recent date with my girlfriend, to any random thing one can possibly think of.. I know this sounds very childish and un-professional but is a fact. Worst part is sometimes I don't even realize it. Also, these lapses in attention are for very short intervals, maybe 1-2 seconds but occur very frequently or so but the thing is, I have to return back to the part I missed and inadvertently even skip it. All in All I spend much more time with much less comprehension.

This is not just in RC, even in CR, SC and even Maths.... I tend to re read quite often, infact almost 90% of the time. I also think so much when I am doing other activities like talking to someone, watching a movie etc.

When I realized about it I searched over internet about the possible remedies. I tried meditation, with earplugs on, studying in White Noise, be here now technique. No matter how hard I try not to think about random stuffs I always end up doing so. I very much want to beat the gmat but don't know how to go about it.
I recently took few mocks -

Manhattan - 670
Powerprep - 700
Veritas - 600 !!!!! :'((

And 1 thing i found common in all(even the questions not taken as mocks) - My accuracy in RC tends to be the lowest (with big difference). Also while analyzing my mocks I realized something. 85% of the mistakes that I committed were not because of forgetting an SC rule or committing a calculation mistake but because I misread (or skipped)words in Statement or Passage or Question or Options. No matter which part of test, I committed the same mistake everywhere. I am sure even while typing this long message I must have thought of numerous random stuffs.

I know if I can get over this, big awards are hiding for me. I need advice to overcome this problem. Should I see a psychologist?
If anyone is facing the same issue pls let me know. Experts, you can be of great help,u have the experience of psychology of variety of students. I will do everything to overcome it. I have my GMAT exam in 13 days. :(
PM me if u think it can be personal.
PS - I don't do drugs, don't smoke,drink very seldom(once in maybe 2months,none since 7-8 months)

Thanks in advance for your patience and reply.
"Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it"
- Sir Winston Churchill

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by XLogic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:04 am
I'm going to sound like a jerk. But believe me, that is not my intention.

But here's my advice.

Do not focus on not thinking about random things. Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but stick with me. The more you try not to think about random things, the more you'll actually think of random things!

It's like telling yourself not to think about the Green Goblin! Guess what??

I'm going to suggest something radical. Try playing brain-games that help focus attention.
I've tried a few and they seem to help -- but I can't say with certainty that it will work in your case.

But what the heck, if it doesn't work, at least you played a fun game!
> Check it out here: https://www.lumosity.com/brain-games/att ... -migration

Good luck!
my post helped --> thank me!
don't thank me --> my post = what the..??

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 am
You are making a big issue of a little thing. Here is my suggestion

1.) Try to focus on GMAT and keep other activities to a minimum. Like talking less frequently with gf. Not getting into any dispute with anyone. Get into a steady routine. Don't rush yourself at any part of the day. This will calm your nerves. For entertainment stick to 1-2 of your favourite things. I left my laptop at work as would spend 1-2 hour everyday browsing internet looking for new materials, reading debriefs and other random stuff. Its counter-productive.

2.) Another reason for lack of concentration maybe that you are not well prepared and feeling anxious. In that case postponing might be a better idea.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:49 pm
A few thoughts for you.

First, the more you struggle throughout the test the more willpower you are using. Struggle could mean that you are very often stuck between tough choices and struggle could also mean that you are struggling to keep yourself on task. It sounds like you are one who does have your mind wander so much then you might be having to actually use your self control to keep you focused. The unfortunate part is that research shows that the same part of your brain that you use for what is called "will power" is the same part needed to focus and make tough decisions.

So the very fact that you have to struggle to concentrate is enough to take away some of your decision-making ability and focus later in the test.

So this problem is actually doing more harm to your score than you realize.

The catch is that the more you have to work to keep yourself focused the more you are using up that "self-control" part of your brain. And that will hinder your focus and decision-making later.

So you need to not only be able to stay on task, but you need to do so without actively forcing yourself to stay on task.

I have not checked out the link that x-logic has provided, but the advice in that post is sound. You have to be able to stay focused without thinking about staying focused.

Second, I think that maybe the rest of your life can be sabotaging your GMAT score. The syndrome that you describe is SO common in people under the age of 40 and most especially those under the ago of 30. Do I sound like an old grouch if I say that you under-30-year-old's have no focus.

Here is a link to an article I wrote this spring. It is about how multi-tasking actually causes your brain to be rewired in exactly the way you are describing. With multi-tasking you are never really working on two things at once, but you are instead moving rapidly among various things which sounds like what you are describing. https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/02/ ... asking-now

The scientists say quote "mult-tasking makes you stupid." Please read this article. If it does not apply to you we can look at something else. If it does then you will know that a change in your daily life can make the GMAT a completely different experience for you.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by mzkfrk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:48 am
Just read your article. I was told before that multi tasking actually harms you ... but to this extent! Had no idea.Yes, I do multi task but only when I am online... and I am online most of the time.Actually I love reading articles related to business strategies(career goal- consultant).I multi task in a way that I have about 7-8 tabs open at a time on my browser... mckinsey quaterly, harvard business review,bloomberg, wired, google news, wikipedia, engadget and few others.

But since few weeks not coming online that frequently. Hence no multitasking.Also when I am not online, I don't multi task.

And thanks David, u hit bang on , on my weak point.... though I still feel there must be other major factors contributing to this issue.

What else can I do? any suggestions?
- Sir Winston Churchill

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Telberg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 am
I got your message. I haven't been on Beat the GMAT for a long time and forgot my password and username, but just figured something out with a new username

You sound like you have ADHD and maybe you have a problem with migraines too. You should have a psychoeducational or neuropsychological evaluation to see if you qualify for accommodations, which it sounds like you do. Also see a neurologist about the ADHD and the migraines. The reading difficulty could be from the ADHD. Check vision focusing as well. That could cause concentration problems on top of the ADHD if you have it. An evaluation should also check word decoding skills and assess whether you have other issues.

Do the psychoeducational evaluation with someone who knows how to do it. Pearson Vue requires a specific format with appropriate questions answered. The evaluator should know DSM IV and ADA criteria for what constitutes a disability. It sounds like you have a problem. Don't despair. All problems have solutions.

Best

Tova

Tova

by XLogic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:23 pm
@Telberg,

Wow, I'm not sure if you are serious or not.
Can you diagnose his problem just by reading his text?
That's impressive, I'd say.

X

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Telberg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm
I don't purport to make clinical diagnoses over the internet or email, but his comments at face value sounded like ADHD and I recommended further evaluation with a neurologist and a neuropsychologist, with the add on that there may be other (or different) issues involved like a reading a disability for example. I also communicated with this person over private email. Recommending an evaluation is not out of line.

Tova

by mzkfrk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 am
XLogic wrote:@Telberg,

Wow, I'm not sure if you are serious or not.
Can you diagnose his problem just by reading his text?
That's impressive, I'd say.

X
@XLogic..... I sent her a private message detailing all my other symptoms.... and after going through a comprehensive search on ADHD I am very sure I have this disorder. None the less I don't want to make a fuss about it. I have a few days left, wanna give my best shot.... I have improved on my carelessness. Though still lagging on the reading ability part....
and buddy thanks for your advice too, your not wrong..... All the best for your GMAT...

@Telberg..... Thanks for your time and support......
- Sir Winston Churchill

by XLogic » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:38 am
Okay @mzkrfrk + @Tova,

I figured I didn't have the full story. I guess the message could have been better as a PM to @mzkrfrk. Nonetheless, I'm glad you received the right information.

Good luck on the GMAT!