Stern vs. Columbia

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Stern vs. Columbia

by doggdetroit » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:11 pm
Hello,

I'm trying to find out the median / avg. GMAT score at Columbia, but I'm having trouble finding it on the CBS website. According to the current class profile, only the avg. GPA, GPA range, and GMAT range are shown. Other websites reference varying avg. GMAT scores, but I need to get the official and most recent figure.

I would like to apply to either Stern or Columbia, but only one, as they both will be reach schools for me. I am trying to determine which school I would have a better shot at. Stern's avg. GMAT score is 717. Which of the two programs is generally more difficult to be accepted into?

Thanks,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 am
https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/null/downl ... _id=731889

Hi,

I am assuming you have checked the file above. Generally, Columbia doesn't release an Average/Mean GMAT score. However, our independent observation is that for almost all schools, the mid point of their 80% range is their Median GMAT (check for Sloan, HBS etc.).

As Median GMAT cannot be a number not ending in 0, for Columbia we could deduce it to be 720. Again, the average for their GMAT score would also be 720 +- 5 points. I would suggest you take 720 as the figure for both mean and median.

Both programs are tough to get into, but as a suggestion Columbia is tougher to get into given the Ivy League, history and tradition involved. Plus Warren Buffet as an alumni helps attract a lot of prospective value investors with great profiles :)

Regards,
Ankit

Founder-AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]