Stern v Kellogg v Fuqua for VC

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Stern v Kellogg v Fuqua for VC

by 2011decision » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 am
Tough call here...

I am looking to make a decision between Stern, Kellogg and Fuqua for a career change into early stage venture capital. I have been an entrepreneur for last 8 years or so and have had some success with start-ups. Now looking to move over to VC side.

I am in my mid thirties - older than many of my classmates will be - married with kids. So social life etc wont matter much to me. And all three locations are fine for me.

I am really trying to boost my quant/finance skills for my career transition.

Many thanks for everyone's input!

-- Michael

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by humblebee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:58 pm
I gave someone else this tip who wanted to move into PE/VC.

Go to the websites of the VC's you want to work for and see where they got their MBAs. It's as simple as that.
wannabe business school consultant

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SoCalMBA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Interesting feedback from humblebee....and it is an approach that can work for most any profession.

Also, if you are in your mid thirties with kids...I would think location would be key driving factor. All three schools are great...so I would suggest going where your kids will be the happiest!

MBA Student
Followed by:16 members

by sv02 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 am
I'm a current FY at Fuqua. My considerations when applying:

1) location - outside of Cali (spent life there, wouldn't get to know classmates as well with friends around) and not a big city (small town keeps everyone around)
2) pedagogy - not all one type, but a good mix of lecture, case & experiential learning
3) class size - not huge, but not super tiny
4) culture - not competitive, but team based & student driven (example: someone probably could have exempted our finance core class spent countless hours with us this last term to teach & help us pass... even though it's on a curve and he himself was ok with the material and could have spent that time doing other things)
5) unique opportunities/experiences - for me for Duke, this included things like the ropes course with our teams during orientation, GCP and GATE (global experiences), the winter term improv class (will be taking that soon!), Program for Entrepreneurs (P4E), and a faster term system than allowed for more clases (6 week terms; done with almost all core in fall)

With this criteria, I ended up applying to Kellogg, Ross & Duke. At Duke, our class's mean age is 29. A good number have partners and kids (the kids run a muck during Fuqua Fridays =)

In terms of VC & Entrepreneurship, Howie Rhee is the spearhead on our side for all that activity. Resources include:
https://sites.google.com/a/fuqua.duke.e ... e-students (includes P4E link)
https://www.dukegen.com

hope that helps,
--sv