stamina/concentration

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

stamina/concentration

by poseidon344 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:23 pm
Hi,
Aside from learning the gmat, I am also facing stamina during the exam. Sometimes I tend to loose concentration in the middle of the exam, do you have any suggestions on how to be consistent during the exam, such as doing excercises daily. This is a major problem by the time I get to verbal....I never experienced this academically, but I have been trying for the gmat since Jan and anxiety really killed my score when I took the test in august. I got only 3 hours of sleep. jitters and ran around crazy before the exam, to my surprise I still scored a 39 in quant and verbal tanked to 25. But this was common in my practice during verbal.....any advice on how to practice and copy the success of practice sessions on to the test.
PLAY HARD AND WORK HARD

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:23 pm
1) practice under real conditions and do the AWA for every practice test. Do not take longer than 8 minute breaks. Eat the same foods you plan to eat during the test.

2) Only study an hr / day tops the two days prior to test. Do not do a test

3) Do not work the two-three days prior to the test. Relax with friends, watch movies, work out

The above worked for me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

Holistic Practices for Best Test Performance

by Bara » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:34 pm
For this strange brew there are several things we need to unpack. First, you talk about waning stamina and losing concentration. These are two different things, though together, a real bummer. No doubt.

First, I’d ask you answer a host of questions. With stamina and concentration:

Do you lose stamina/concentration in other situations? What have you done about this in the past? Are there comparisons to those situations and taking the GMAT? Does it have to do with the ‘time’ involved? (Do you get tired in the same duration no matter what you’re doing?) Are you someone who needs a jolt to their blood sugar level? Does taking the GMAT or the verbal part of the test, somehow trigger something from your past? Does it bring up something about your future? Are you feeling worthy for this direction and (potential) change/return to school/leaving a job, etc.? How do you feel about judgment and how thick is your skin? Have you fired all your inner critics? …and this is just the beginning…

As far as gaining more stamina and stability, think of yourself as a machine - - what things do YOU you need to have stability? I don’t know your case, but you can look at your overall choices. How do you eat? Processed foods? Lot of sugar and coffee during the day? You might want to change that. How about sleep? Water intake? Are you nourishing yourself by seeing friends and loved ones? Breathing fresh air? Enjoying the change in season? When is the last time you laughed? Cried? Emotional and physical well being cannot be underestimated for the test-taker. They form the foundation for all we do intellectually and physically. And the more solid you feel the better you’ll perform.

Now to your problem with verbal. What is your relationship to ‘verbal.’ Is English your first language? How did you perform in English classes? Does the verbal section bring up anything?

Why have you been studying since January? We have found that overstudy actually can hurt your score because a test-taker might think the test has more power and be more important than it really is. So you might need to actively reverse that. Quality over Quantity. Every time. What have you been doing TO study? It seems that students who study for such a long time often give over more control and power to the test. If you see yourself having less control and power you let the ‘test take you’, instead of ‘you taking the test.’

You also brought up anxiety, though anxiety didn’t ‘kill’ your score. You did. Feeling anxiety (or any emotion) is a combination of ‘training’ and ‘choice.’ And you have the opportunity to respond the way you’d like - - you just need to train yourself to do that? How would you like to see yourself going into the test? Make a ‘movie’ of this and watch it twice a day. Make sure you activate all the senses. And exaggerate when possible.

Regarding sleep. Sleeping the night before is not as important as sleep the night before the night before. How did that night go for you? Did you do anything relaxing the day before the test? You also should have a good amount of sleep while studying - - consider it part of the study process. It’s when the brain integrates and problem solves. Don’t underestimate it.

I would recommend a hearty cocktail of a variety of practices to allay your anxiety, improve your sleep and stamina and improve your belief in yourself. Bottomline: this test IS trainable. The fun part of the mental piece,(I believe), is discovering what works best for you: Massage? Meditation? Nutritional Supplements? Getting nutritious food delivered? Energy work? Acupuncture? Neurolinguistic Programming? Relaxation? The list goes on…finding what helps you be your best self, and shine, is a great start. And once you know what makes you tick best, you have it for life.

If there is any way we can help, don’t hesitate to ask.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c