Stacy, should I use my optional essay to....

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Stacy, should I use my optional essay to....

by GMAT? » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:19 pm
Hello Stacy,

Do you think that it would be wise to explain my social-economic background in the optional essay. I have not done this anywhere else in the essays (applying to top ten school). I was brought up in the most deprived area in my country (in western Europe) and attended one of the worst school as a teenager(bottom 1% nationally). I still made it to graduating as a medical doctor.

I also want to explain my below avarage GMAT score 620, and say something to the extent that I don't mind retaking it.

Can I talk about these two areas in the optional essay. Or should I move explaining my deprived background to the first essay about short term goals, where it may make more impact at the beginning. And should I bother explaining my GMAT.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
GMAT? wrote:Hello Stacy,

Do you think that it would be wise to explain my social-economic background in the optional essay. I have not done this anywhere else in the essays (applying to top ten school). I was brought up in the most deprived area in my country (in western Europe) and attended one of the worst school as a teenager(bottom 1% nationally). I still made it to graduating as a medical doctor.

I also want to explain my below avarage GMAT score 620, and say something to the extent that I don't mind retaking it.

Can I talk about these two areas in the optional essay. Or should I move explaining my deprived background to the first essay about short term goals, where it may make more impact at the beginning. And should I bother explaining my GMAT.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks
I'm interested to hear Stacy's response to your question. But I think mentioning your socioeconomic background might make your story more interesting to admissions committees.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 am
I definitely think that you should discuss your socioeconomic background, but you need to be careful with regards to your tone. You don't want to say, "please have pity on me." You merely want to point out some of the interesting and unique aspects of your background and illustrate some of the ways that you were able to overcome personal hardships. It would also be interesting to discuss if your background has influenced more recent decisions and goals, such as career goals, or volunteer activities.

Regarding the GMAT, if you know that your score is below average for your target schools, and you are willing to retake it, then you should go ahead and retake, rather than merely offering to do so. You can report a higher score when you receive it.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

thanks

by GMAT? » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:29 am
thanks

One more question...

by GMAT? » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:21 pm
Stacey, do I need to explain my low gmat of 620 in the optional essay. I'm applying to the ten top schools... verbal is above 80 percentile, but maths about 60 percentile.

I'm not planning to retake it unless the school asks. Should I just leave it alone or will adcom think I'm ignorant if I dont explain it.

Also what types of strategies do people use to explain a poor maths score. I'm a medical doctor, and have great essays and Letters of recomendation.

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:16 pm
I am not a fan of explaining a GMAT score because I do not think there is much you can say. Since everyone takes the same exam under supposedly similar circumstances, there is little you can do to explain away a low score unless there are extenuating circumstances.

It would be very unusual for a school to ask you to retake the test. However, if you feel that you can achieve a higher score. you might want to take the initiative to do so.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

one more question please

by GMAT? » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:00 am
stacey,

one more question please,

the day that i sat my gmat, the weather was extremeley poor and a tree had fallen down on the road of the test centre and so i had top take a major re-route. should i mention this as a contributing factor for the low gmat. even though i made it to the test centre on time.....i has stressed by it

thanks...

i want to mention it in the optional essay but think that the admissions committee may laugh.

what do you think

by GMAT? » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:20 am
to add i have a news paper article to prove that it did really happen.

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:40 pm
I wouldn't mention it. The response might be that there will be plenty of stressful experiences as a CEO of a major company, and you have to learn to manage it. It might be more appropriate in an interview, if it comes up.
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me