Source: Kaplan free prac. test

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

Source: Kaplan free prac. test

by Frankenstein » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 am
In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

1)instead of
2)rather than in
3)in contrast with
4)as opposed to
5)as against being done in
OA B
Please explain each wrong choice
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 am
Confused between B and C.

Initially picked B but later drifted towards C!

Can someone explain the difference between the two options?
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am
In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

1)instead of
2)rather than in
3)in contrast with
4)as opposed to
5)as against being done in

C wrong because correct idiom is in contrast to
D and E wrong because awkward

I would have gone for A .......whats the OA????

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:09 am
Hi,
'in contrast to' and 'in contrast with' are both correct. I have posted OA also. You can check. But, it would be better if someone can explain how to eliminate all other choices.
Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rveeraga » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 am

1)instead of (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
2)rather than in (in is required to make the meaning clear;indicates alternative way, but not replacement)
3)in contrast with (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
4)as opposed to (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
5)as against being done in (being done is passive,whereas is sewn is active; ackward)

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 am
rveeraga wrote:In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

1)instead of (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
2)rather than in (in is required to make the meaning clear;indicates alternative way, but not replacement)
3)in contrast with (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
4)as opposed to (a clause is compared with a noun;the seam is sewn is not parallel with a separate process )
5)as against being done in (being done is passive,whereas is sewn is active; ackward)
Hi,
The wording of this question is really confusing me. Can you elaborate option 2. I mean what is being compared to what. I fail to understand the meaning. So, if you can explain the use of 'in' and split the two parallel ones, it would be helpful.
Cheers!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandy217 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:49 am
Frankenstein wrote:
rveeraga wrote:In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

Hi,
The wording of this question is really confusing me. Can you elaborate option 2. I mean what is being compared to what. I fail to understand the meaning. So, if you can explain the use of 'in' and split the two parallel ones, it would be helpful.
Rather fits the bill correctly. Even am skeptical about the use of "IN"
But after knowing the answer choice it seems correct to me :D . Just my intuition in play , cant justify it though !!