source for practicing CR

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

source for practicing CR

by ashblog02 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 am
What is a good source for practicing for cr.I have the 100 CR qs but I keep reading that they are not a good way to practice for GMAT.I am done with OG- so what would be a good choice?

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 am
ashblog02 wrote:What is a good source for practicing for cr.I have the 100 CR qs but I keep reading that they are not a good way to practice for GMAT.I am done with OG- so what would be a good choice?
To get in-depth you can try the "Powerscore CR Bibel".

For practicing you can join "practice.beatthegmat.com".

You can also try OG-11, OG-10, OG Verbal Supplement.

There is a website Aristotleprep.com. You can find 99 CR (pdf) free of cost to practice.
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ashblog02 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 pm
thanks!!1

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:07 pm
When you say you are done with the OG, which edition do you mean? Shovan is right to mention the different editions and the Official Guide Verbal Review (either 1 or 2). Basically the Verbal Review questions are different from the Official Guide questions and if you go to a different version of the official guide you should get around 20 new questions. So that is one way to explore to get new questions.

If you need strategy as well as practice questions, then you will need a source for that. Shovan mentioned the Power Score Bible, other companies have strategy guides available as well and some of these guides will provide practice questions (so that will help) - for example, between the two Veritas Critical Reasoning Guides there are over 150 practice questions and none of these are repeated from the Official Guides. https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasonin ... 1936240033

So strategy books can be another good source of questions. And these are written specifically for the GMAT, and yet designed to be more in-tune with the questions currently on the GMAT (as opposed to the questions in the official guides, which students often say are not diverse enough and might even lack some complexity. Remember questions in the official guides are very important, but they tell you what the GMAT was like a few years ago when these questions were on the test and not necessarily what the test will be like in a few weeks or months when you take it).

If you need still more questions an inexpensive source of quality questions is old LSAT tests. You will only want to use these after you have looked at the sources above because while LSAT questions are very well written not all of them translate to the GMAT. The following link is to a discussion of using LSAT critical reasoning questions to study for the GMAT: https://www.beatthegmat.com/lsat-to-stud ... 69915.html.

So there are lots of options to choose from for questions. Good Luck!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 am
David you hit the nail on the head.I have been practicing LSAT CR and I must admit LSAT CR is not for the faint hearted.

The good thing about these questions is they train you to focus completely on each and every detail.In this way,especially under timed conditions,you are not susceptible to panicking.

I don't know about others,but I surely had these issues, and I have them.

I don't think timing the LSAT questions is necessary because these questions are way tougher than anything you'll see on the GMAT.These questions also taught me to think analytically,especially on tough CR questions [700+]. Using instincts,you can solve easy to medium difficulty questions,because you have gotten used to them by solving OG questions,which I honestly believe,expect a few say 10%, are 650 level questions.But if you want to get those tough questions right,you will need to think analytically.

David reinstates my belief by saying that OG questions,in general lack the complexities,which various prep guides from companies such as Veritas include in their guides.