Some authors have challenged

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

Some authors have challenged

by kvcpk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 am
Some authors have challenged the common perception of the Italian Renaissance as a time of creativity and positive change. For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin.

It can most reasonably be inferred from the passage above that

A. Latin was still a living language during the Renaissance.
B. The death of the Latin language was a negative effect of the Renaissance.
C. The classical form of Latin was preferred during the Renaissance.
D. Other forms of Latin had been corrupted by the time of the Renaissance.
E. Classical Latin is a lesser form of Latin than that spoken during the Renaissance.
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhigang » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 am
IMO B.

Bit confused between A and B. But eliminated A becaused it cannot be guaged whether Latin was still living during Renaissance. It may have lived only the frst half of the Renaissance but the effect of it is felt even after.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by FightWithGMAT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 am
kvcpk wrote:Some authors have challenged the common perception of the Italian Renaissance as a time of creativity and positive change. For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin.

E. Classical Latin is a lesser form of Latin than that spoken during the Renaissance.
IT is A.

No info of the effect of the death of Latin was given.
Only we know that Latin was alive by Renaissance and that it was lead to death.

by abhigang » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:03 am
FightWithGMAT wrote:
kvcpk wrote:Some authors have challenged the common perception of the Italian Renaissance as a time of creativity and positive change. For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin.

IT is A.

No info of the effect of the death of Latin was given.
Only we know that Latin was alive by Renaissance and that it was lead to death.
But the option B is talking about the effect of Renaissance . It is NOT talking about the effect of death.
Let me know what do you think.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:10 am

One more for B.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by SeemaSkl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am
I am for B too. What is the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am
OA A
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 am
"For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin."

Based on the above premise, How can Latin still be a living lanuage during R? Or does A mean at some time during R, but not the entire R? Confused.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by ssp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:13 pm
I was choosing between A, B, and E. Here is how I narrowed down my answer choice to A:

E - In the example, it is implied that the use of Classical Latin contributed to the death of the latin language as a whole. However, to say that Classical Latin is a lesser form of Latin can definitely be disputed. That is an opinion and does not have to be true.

B - In the argument, the author uses this example to imply that the Renaissance did not always foster creativity and/or positive change. He does not necessarily imply that the death of the Latin language was bad or a negative effect of the Renaissance. Naturally, Latin as a language was properly evolving during that time and since the Renaissance period insisted on the classical form of Latin, the period actually contributed to less creativity. Also, I ruled this answer choice out because "the death of the latin language was a negative effect" really came off as an opinion to me. It was too strong. Must be true questions are less about opinions and more about facts within the stimulus.

A - This must be true because if the language did not exist during the Renaissance, then this example would not hold true.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:42 pm
though I went for A, I am not able to reason why C cannot be inferred ...

from the stimulus
"For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin"

There are 2 things which can be inferred
1. Latin was still a living language till Renaissance which is option A
2. insistence on using the classical form of Latin which is option C
@Deb

by ssp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:45 pm
debmalya_dutta wrote:though I went for A, I am not able to reason why C cannot be inferred ...

from the stimulus
"For example, the Dutch historian Johan Huizinga argued that the Renaissance caused the death of the Latin language due to its insistence on using the classical form of Latin"

I think in this context, the example is actually implying that the use of the classical form caused the Latin language to die. "Insisted" does not equal "prefer". Insist is actually a relatively strong word which probably supports that the classical form was less preferred...

by debmalya_dutta » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 pm
I see what you mean ......
But "insistence on using the classical form of Latin " would mean " preference on using the classical form of Latin "
Isn't it ?

I am probably flogging dead horse
ssp wrote:
debmalya_dutta wrote:though I went for A, I am not able to reason why C cannot be inferred ...

from the stimulus

I think in this context, the example is actually implying that the use of the classical form caused the Latin language to die. "Insisted" does not equal "prefer". Insist is actually a relatively strong word which probably supports that the classical form was less preferred...
@Deb

by ssp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:43 pm
@debmalya

I think it is helpful to understand the meaning or definition of each word. This might help:

in·sist/inˈsist/Verb
1. Demand something forcefully, not accepting refusal.
2. Demand forcefully to have or do something: "she insisted on answers"; "boots he insisted on wearing".

pre·fer/priˈfər/Verb
1. Like (one thing or person) better than another or others; tend to choose: "I prefer Venice to Rome".

"The Renaissance" demanded that the classical form be used. Since it did not allow a choice between using the classical form or the non-classical form --> no preference was implied

by debmalya_dutta » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 pm
thanks mate
ssp wrote:@debmalya

I think it is helpful to understand the meaning or definition of each word. This might help:

in·sist/inˈsist/Verb
1. Demand something forcefully, not accepting refusal.
2. Demand forcefully to have or do something: "she insisted on answers"; "boots he insisted on wearing".

pre·fer/priˈfər/Verb
1. Like (one thing or person) better than another or others; tend to choose: "I prefer Venice to Rome".

"The Renaissance" demanded that the classical form be used. Since it did not allow a choice between using the classical form or the non-classical form --> no preference was implied
@Deb

Legendary Member

by paes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:03 pm
It looks like an assumption problem rather than inference problem.