So long as correct here?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

So long as correct here?

by dextar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:35 am
The Supreme Court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students’ objections to particular activities, so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.
1) same
2) if they have objections to particular activities and the groups that are given the money are
3) if they object to particular activities but the groups that the money is given to have to be
4) from students who object to particular activities, so long as the groups given money are
5) though students have an objection to particular activities, but the groups that are given the money be

My question
So long as is correct here? Shouldn't it be 'as long as'. That is why I eliminated option 1 and 4 .

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by OnapiIndia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 am
I agree with you but i am not 100% sure.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by rey.fernandez » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:36 pm
My understanding is that "as long as" and "so long as" are actually interchangeable.

Generally speaking, I would avoid eliminating answer choices based on the usage of phrases like this one, at least initially. Instead, go for the low-hanging fruit! This problem is a good example... it's rife with pronoun issues that can rule out three of the answer choices.

Rey
Rey Fernandez
Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by krajaram29 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:51 pm
Can you please tell me what's the answer to the question?
we can eliminate a,b,c because of pronoun errors. and d seems to have tense error.
so i go for e.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm
(4) is the correct choice.

"has ruled ... may collect ... so long as ... are chosen" is the proper tense usage.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tparekh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 pm
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:(4) is the correct choice.

"has ruled ... may collect ... so long as ... are chosen" is the proper tense usage.

Can the original question stem also be interpreted as the universities can
collect fees with students' objection - the students being some students who object but not necessarily the ones from whom the fees are to be collected? The reason for this understanding being

1. students' - this has an apostrophe
2. An assumption can be all students do not have to pay activity fees.

With this, I have an issue with "D" - is it changing the meaning of the
sentence?

thanks,
tarak