So close, but yet so far...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

So close, but yet so far...

by Gupp3000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 pm
Well I got a 680 (42Q, 41V)...

I'm not thrilled with the score as my goal was 700-710ish.

The result is actually pretty strange, because on the practice tests I had been getting around 45-47Q, and around 38V or so. So, although I'm happy with the improved verbal, I'm VERY disappointed with the quant.

I think I know what went wrong. Early on in the studying I realized that I would have time management issues in the quant. I have a tendency to -spend too much time trying to figure out questions because I hate to move on without convincing myself that I got the right answer. I think this really hurt me, and I ran out of time at the end (3 minutes for the last 6 questions!). I was aware of this problem going in and during the coarse of my studying I set strict time limits on my practice questions to get the proper time management dialed in. But with the actual pressure of the exam I somehow convinced myself that if I should spend an extra few second here and there and then it was all over! Damn nerves!

The main point that I think I have learned from this is that it is really irrelevant if you are able to eventually get the correct answer. Can you get the correct answer in 2 min or less? That's the key!

The verbal was good. I think I was so mad that I made the one mistake I didn't want to make it the quant, that I just pounded right thru it!

Many thanks to all the individuals who have contributed to this site! I have been lurking here for awhile and it has been on of my most valuable resources!

I studied seriously for about 3 months and used:
-OG 11 Book
-Kaplan Premier Book
-Manhattan Guides
-Beat the GMAT Flash cards!
-Excel spreadsheet Test Grid

I spent about a month reviewing all the books and doing a few questions here and there, but it wasn't until I booked my appointment that my efforts became more directed! I love spreadsheets (nerdy, I know), so I would compile banks of questions from the OG (by referencing the last few pages of the Manhattan Guides). Usually I would do about 20 questions at a time after work (10 verbal, 10 quant) and then review. After I reviewed the answers I would keep track of which types of answers I was getting wrong and enter that info back into the spreadsheet. I would then identify any areas I was weak in (maybe SC, paralellism for example). I would then review the weak areas and do maybe a few questions just relating to that area and call it a night. I found this to be effective because each night I would do a broad range of question and also focus on the specifics areas of the ones I got wrong.

I did quite a few practice exam (maybe 7-8, probably too many?)

I did the Kaplan CAT on that came with the CD twice and got below below 600 both times! This scared me! I did one of the Manhattan CATs two nights later and got 750...this confused me. I saved GMATprep for the last week and got 680 and 690 (although with higher Q and lower V), so all around I guess this was the best indicator.

Still I can't help but think that 700+ slipped though my fingers....

Does anybody know if a low quant and higher verbal score would be frowned upon (especially for someone coming from a technical back ground)?

Thanks again beat the GMAT!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:42 pm
A 680 is still a great score!

With regard to your last question, I think a technical background would probably compensate somewhat for your low GMAT quant. I would ask Stacy for her opinion...

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by RachelAL » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:06 am
I agree I think your technical background would actually compensate for the quant (which is a great score still). It might be an issue if you had a low quant score and NO quant background.

Seems like if you timed yourself better you would have certainly broke the 700 mark. I had a lot of trouble moving on from quant problems also. I think the best thing to do is convince yourself a couple extra seconds are not going to change your answers from wrong to right. I found, as suggested by MGMAT, writing the time guide on my wipeboard (and in practice) really helps. I made sure i was always on pace, if I wasn't I would get back on. So let's say I noticed I was falling behind, if I hit a problem I knew would take me more than 2 minutes to complete (if I was even able to complete it correctly) I would make a strategic guess and move on. This strategy was really hard for me to use at first, I could not accept the guess and move on strategy... but I think it is best. For math you should be on the following schedule (as per MGMAT):

Time Remaining Question Number
75 min
60 min 7-8
45 min 14-15
30 min 21-22
15 min 28-29
0 min 37
-Rachel