smokers

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

smokers

by gmatmachoman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 pm
solve this one ....LSAT based..Rate its difficuty (1-5)
Attachments
smokers.doc
(366 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm
rating:5

pattern:resolve the paradox

few choices can be eliminated easily if u are aware of tricks used by Powerscore CR bible

a) discuss abt a different group of people who quit pipe or cigar; the stimulus however is discussing abt people who quit ciggarettes .......eliminated

b)who resume C-smoking...again diffnt group of people ; we r int in who quit cigar or pipe

c) hold it

d) exclusively C or P or cigar is different again

e) discuss abt smke and not abt the risk of smoking related helth problems

hence by POE its C

actually C says the kinds of illness is high for Pipe or cigar rather than for c therefore who quit C and resumes P or cigar are having high risk
OA pls

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:51 pm
U r right...It comes under the rating of 5..

But OA is not C

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 pm
My answer would be E.
E tells us why there could be a possibility of differing reduction in health benefits of quitting ciggs vis a vis cigars/pipes.
the real world explanation for this is that cigars and pipes are smoked without inhaling the smoke in the lungs, rather the smoke is lept in the mouth, however ciggs are smoked to inhale the smoke in the lungs. Thus often what happens is that ciggs smokers who quit smoking and pick up cigars/pipes end up inhaling the smoke of cigars/pipes which incidentally leads to more damage as the cigars/pipes do not even have a filter as do the ciggs.

Statutory warning: Smoking tobacco (ciggs/cigars/pipes) is injurious to health! :D

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 pm
VikingWarrior wrote:My answer would be E.
E tells us why there could be a possibility of differing reduction in health benefits of quitting ciggs vis a vis cigars/pipes.
the real world explanation for this is that cigars and pipes are smoked without inhaling the smoke in the lungs, rather the smoke is lept in the mouth, however ciggs are smoked to inhale the smoke in the lungs. Thus often what happens is that ciggs smokers who quit smoking and pick up cigars/pipes end up inhaling the smoke of cigars/pipes which incidentally leads to more damage as the cigars/pipes do not even have a filter as do the ciggs.

Statutory warning: Smoking tobacco (ciggs/cigars/pipes) is injurious to health! :D
How do u rate this one Viking??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 pm
This kind of questions which ask us to make an inference or resolve a paradox are based on reasoning out things that are not directly mentioned in the stem therefore they are usually harder than other Q types in general. So I would rate all such Qs as more than/equal to 3 (0-5)
This Q however was not so tough as elimination was easy. So I would say 3/5 :)

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 am
i too feel the elimination options were very easy. outright we can eliminate them as out of scope answers.
Let me dissect the answer options:

A) we are not talking about people who quit smoking pipes and cigars. we are bothered about people who quit cigarette smoking and took up pipe and cigar smoking. Eliminated!

B) we are not talking about cigartte smokers who quit smoking and then resumed cigarette smoking. Eliminated!

C) are we looking at the onset of illnesses in the 2 types of smoking? we are just looking at incidence of risk involved. Eliminated!

D) this is a complete contradiction to our stimulus. the stimulus talks about people who switch ways whereas the answer choice states the opposite. Eliminated!

E) this is my answer. if there is a difference in the way the smoke is inhaled, then the decrease in risk factor need not occur. Perfectly explains the reason for aberration.

Hope this helps!