Sloan Advice/Profile Eval.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Sloan Advice/Profile Eval.

by Mpalmer22 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:20 am
Hey Lisa or Stacy,

I was wondering what you know about Sloan. It seems like everyone focuses on Harvard, Stanford, etc, but I was wondering what kinds of stories you have heard from people looking at Sloan. I've spent some time watching the MIT OpenCourseWare (their online classes) and figure that I've watched enough of their classes, I should probably go get a degree there.

I could care less about their prestige or that they are a top business school. That's not what interests me. I want to go there because of the curriculum. I've looked through the classes they offer for their Entrepreneurship and Innovation Track, and it really gets me fired up and excited to learn. I have honestly never felt so excited about learning or taking classes. Partially because I want to start my own business (I already have an idea for it) and eventually want to become a Venture Capitalist.

My GPA is pretty terrible, which I would say is because of my lack of excitement about my undergrad classes. Something like a 2.85 or 2.9.
However, I think I can do well on my GMAT, well enough that I can demonstrate my aptitude in math. I'm expecting a 700 or so.

I have a couple years of work experience in online marketing, but while in college I essentially started my own business (though it has performed several different functions). I did computer repair for a little bit, website design consulting, and helped as director of marketing for a .com start-up and am credited as helping on a couple of other new site launches. Recently, after leaving my marketing firm where I was Sr. Analyst, I have supported myself through affiliate marketing. But that only pays the bills.

Other than that I was heavily involved in on-campus activities and groups, am and active rock-climber and surfer (I won my division at a rock-climbing comp a couple years ago), and am an Eagle Scout.

I figure I can write pretty well as I was a history major, so I think I have that covered, though I may need some direction from a consultant, if you think that necessary.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but what do you think? If I can do well on my GMAT, do you think I might have more than an outside chance? Ever heard of any good stories from them that might be motivating for me?

Thanks for any and all advice,
Mike

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:18 pm
Dear Mike,

Sloan is a great school and the entrepreneurship curriculum is strong. It does attract folks with quantitative/engineering/technical backgrounds, so it will be important for you to score well on the GMAT (700+) to not only mitigate the GPA, but to demonstrate you can succeed in the program. I think you have a chance of being admitted there as the program matches your career goals. However, you will need a high GMAT and strong essays, resume and interview to put yourself in the best position. Lastly, I would suggest establishing a relationship with someone in the admissions office. Your career as you described in your post does give me pause and could be a weakness for you if you do not position it correctly. I think a consultant could be helpful as that is the main benefit of working with one.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mpalmer22 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:28 pm
Thanks Lisa, that was helpful. I'm not entirely sure how to go about establishing a relationship with the admissions officer. Would it be good to see if I could arrange a phone discussion to discuss my chances or maybe ask them for a run down of the types of students they are looking for to see if I fit their profile?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:09 pm
Hi Mike,

The best way is to either visit campus or meet a representative at an event (or both). You can try to set up an individual appointment, but those are sometimes hard to schedule. Once you have met an admissions representative, then you will have the ability to continue the relationship.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me