Sixth Attempt : 720(94th Percentile) - A GMAT lover's saga

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
My GMAT experience -

My post is way too long so please read only when you have more than 10 minutes of free time
My name is Lakshmikant, Indian IT male, aged 31, working in the United States for last 5 plus years.

How I came in touch with GMAT
Year 2005. I had cracked an Indian Management entrance test by the name FMS (Faculty Of Management Studies). This institute is located in New Delhi and is always ranked in the top 5 in India. FMS also happens to be a very highly competitive examination - only 60 students get final admit after a rigorous selection process, including the written test, Group Discussion, Extempore and Interview. Even though I cleared all the rounds I still ended up in the Waitlist. And l missed admission by two numbers in the Waitlist. My WL was 60 and the admissions closed at WL 58 for the academic year 2005-07. Now with this experience I thought I should give GMAT a try and see if that will get me sure shot success only to realize later on that GMAT is a bigger monster than what most Indians think of it �

First GMAT attempt -
Score - 640
Date - 10-Oct-2006
Location - Hyderabad, India
Experience - Angered and deeply frustrated
I had started preparing for GMAT in late 2005 and studied for an entire year, though not consistently. Did OG, Manhattan books and even joined a local GMAT course. Took the exam in October 2006 and was almost asleep in the middle of the Verbal section. Realized that it takes a lot of stamina to sit through such a long test. Anyways knew that I did not do well.
Score flashed - 640 (Q-48 and V-31).
I was terribly disappointed and was deeply frustrated at the turn of events. Decided to bury GMAT thoughts and started doing well on the job. Every cloud has a silver lining and so did Mr. GMAT �. Two months later, in Dec 2006, came to USA on deputation on H1B visa. After coming to US met two students at Wharton who earlier worked at my company. Somewhere deep in my mind the seed got planted that I am equally good as these people are then why am I unable to handle the GMAT. Innocence at its best � This is what happens when you under estimate the potential of a dreaded exam. Did not do anything related to GMAT for another 2 years as my job was very demanding and I was in USA so there was no scope for under performance at work.

Second GMAT attempt -
Score - 610
Date - 10-Aug-2009
Location - New York city, USA
Experience - Heart-broke and devastated
My second prep for GMAT started in April 2009 when I decided to take a plunge at the GMAT. I enrolled in a full length course at Manhattan GMAT facility on 23rd street in Manhattan, New York city. Studied with full enthusiasm for over 3 months, took all MGMAT and GMAT Powerprep tests and then took a GMAT appointment for Aug 2009. Highest score on Prep was 710. This time I was doing better on the test and was hopeful of easily crossing 700. But ALAS !! When the score flashed it was a shock. 610 (Q-49 and V-27). Royally screwed up. This time I was deeply angered at the GMAT. What the hell does this exam think of itself. I had spent so much money and had devoted so much time and it all goes in vain. Huh. Forgot GMAT and concentrated on job.

Third GMAT attempt -
Score - 650
Date - 08-Nov-2010
Experience - Happier than before
This time I studied only for two weeks and gave the GMAT. Scored 650 (Q-49 and V-30). Was happier as this was my highest score so far and also because I did not spend too much time studying for it. What is the moral of the story ? Don't study and you will get a higher score on the GMAT. It all depends on the TEST DAY performance. Lol as silly as my logic sounds.

Fourth GMAT attempt -
Score - 660
Date - 28-Dec-2010
Experience - Happiest until then
This time I did not even bother to study. It was Christmas and new year time. People were celebrating and so was I. I was looking forward to a new year party and I had vacations starting Dec 15, 2010 until Jan 5, 2011. So somehow an idea to give GMAT another try struck my mind. I took the appointment a day before and went straight to take the exam. Came out with a 660 (Q-49 and V-31). Was very happy and headed straight to Time square for shopping. Clearly after 4 attempts one thing was shaping up more strongly inside my mind that I can score 700 plus and I still have hopes. Why should I bury the hatchet even if I got 660. I am only 40 points away.

Fifth GMAT attempt -
Score - 640
Date - 17-March-2012
Location - Chicago, USA
Experience - Disgusting and vengeful
Started studying religiously in Feb 2012 and took newer tests such as 800Score and Veritas this time. I was fed up of MGMAT and Powerprep. On the D-day the test actually turned more difficult than anticipated. In Maths I had tough questions on probability, permutation combinations, modulus and number systems. In verbal all four passages were way too lengthy. CRs were tricky. Two SC questions had the entire stem underlined. Was left with 5 minutes on Verbal and had around 5 questions left. Quickly solved those and guessed one or two of those as GMAT penalizes you for not completing the test. Was afraid of looking at my score.
Score flashed - 640 (Q46, V33). A big slap on my face.
Nothing but pain on this day. Five attempts in Five years and is this where I am heading to ? 640 on the first GMAT and 640 again after 5+ years. This was the only GMAT that shocked me beyond belief. Was there something seriously wrong with me ? Did a deep introspection and did not go out for many days. Just went to work and then head home. No parties, no music and no internet. To hell with Facebook and Youtube and the silly movies.

April 1, 2012 until June 1, 2012
Finally after remaining in 10 days of near isolation and mental absence I started getting back to normal. Read various posts of people who made it big on the GMAT and also analyzed my flaws. Clearly I was not reading enough in my day to day life. Even in Mathematics I am over confident because I always got a 49 on the GMAT. Since April 1st started reading newspapers - Chicago Sun-times, Red Eye and New York times- religiously. Started reading books regularly. No music, no youtube and no parties - to hell with all of them. After nearly a month I realized what a big fool I had been all these years. While reading articles I could clearly see how much I can relate these to the real GMAT exam. The sentence correction stems, the reasoning skills and comprehension all get strengthened just by reading. I knew I had hit the right path. For mathematics also I revised concepts of probability, modulus and number systems. I even did few books such as Powerscore CR bible, Grockit Sentence correction, OG Verbal and Quant supplements. I was surely getting better at my verbal skills . Everyday I felt as I am dealing with GMAT questions in day to day life.

Somewhere in Mid May I took GMAT appointment for June 30, 2012. I ordered the Integrated reasoning book released by Manhattan GMAT authorities because after June 5 the new GMAT pattern is effective. When I started solving those IR questions I got cold feet. Those were so hard by all means. It is easier to get a 40 plus on Verbal than a 12/12 correct on those IR questions. With the shivering attitude and terrifying mental state my confidence dipped. I mean I m taking GMAT one more time so that I can improve my score and now I have a new hurdle - Integrated reasoning. In the middle of the night on May 26, I re-scheduled my GMAT exam for a prior date - June 02, 2012 - without getting afraid of the consequences. I had also vowed that this would be my last and final attempt at the GMAT. No more GMAT after this. In the last few days I religiously did all the practice questions (DS, PS, RC, SC and CR) that are offered in the new GMAT PREP CD. On GMAT prep I scored a 690, 710 and a 720. I was able to improve my concentration during the mock tests and I believe this was what was missing in all the previous attempts. This time I was sure I am closer to the target but was still not confident as the real GMAT can be way too different.

Sixth and last GMAT attempt -
Score - 720
Date - 02-June-2012
Location - Chicago, USA
Experience - Overjoyed, Thrilled and Proud
Reached the test center on time and started with the AWA essays. Wrote good stuff in both and moved to Quant. Quant questions seemed easy at first and they picked steam in the middle. But luckily the hard ones this time were Geometry, Indices/Exponents and Speed/distance related ones and those topics are my strengths for sure. So even if the questions were hard my answers matched the options listed and I was sure that I had been heading in the right direction. Got some Probability, modulus and number system questions also, but since I had brushed my skills I was confident while answering. Finished quant before time and took the 8 minute break.

Enter the dragon - VERBAL
Verbal started with few simple SC questions. Infact first five were SCs and then two CRs. Then a passage. This time I did not speed against time and carefully answered each question. Infact I let go off my tension and looked at the questions with amusement. After the RC there was a string of SC questions until number 20. Imagine getting seven eight SCs in a row. I answered them confidently but was puzzled as to what is this ? I was expecting a boldface CR and another lengthy RC but no. Anyways 20 questions answered in 35 minutes. That left me 21 questions for 40 minutes. No hurry. Closed my eyes to relax for a bit and then proceeded. Then came CRs and three more RCs and few SCs. Finished the 41st question with 3 minutes remaining. I gave equal importance to the last 21 questions as I had given to first 20. Back in my mind I was getting hint that I have done well but no I wont trust Mr.GMAT. Given the fact that he loves to trick people first and then send tearing shock waves through people's hearts later on. After few minutes the screen came - Do you wish to see or cancel your scores ? Obviously see

SCORE FLASHED - 720 (94th percentile)
Q - 49(85th percentile) and V - 39(87th percentile)

Yesssssss...Finally finally it happened.

Folded hands in Indian style to thank god and came out. Took my printed score and also gave some chocolates to the lady at front desk. This day taught me so much. I literally experienced what a father would experience on the day his baby is about to be delivered. The nervousness, the excitement, the enthusiasm and some pessimism - all mixed together.

I don't say that 720 is a great score considering that many people score 730 - 760. But for me it's a victory. Imagine what would have happened had I ended up with a 680 or lower. Would I have written this post. Nops. I am happy and I patted myself for taking correct strategies and correct decisions in the last two months. In short, my journey with GMAT has been a long eventful one and is a story that I can share proudly now. GMAT is a language in itself just as Arabic, French or Hindi are. One has to understand and master the language before taking the exam. One has to get tuned according to the GMAT's way of looking at things - be it GMAT vocabulary, GMAT ideology or GMAT tricks.

I am worried about the admission committee now. Will they see my GMAT attempts in negative light ? Or is it acceptable as long as there has been a marked improvement in the score ? If anyone of you has experience please share.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm
lakskant wrote:My GMAT experience -

April 1, 2012 until June 1, 2012

Since April 1st started reading newspapers - Chicago Sun-times, Red Eye and New York times- religiously. Started reading books regularly. No music, no youtube and no parties - to hell with all of them. After nearly a month I realized what a big fool I had been all these years. While reading articles I could clearly see how much I can relate these to the real GMAT exam. The sentence correction stems, the reasoning skills and comprehension all get strengthened just by reading.

SCORE FLASHED - 720 (94th percentile)
Q - 49(85th percentile) and V - 39(87th percentile)

Yesssssss...Finally finally it happened.
Hi,

You have made it. Many congratulations.

Will you share what exactly you started doing while reading newspapers that helped.

regards,
Patanjali

by lakskant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm
Thanks Patanjali.

Your question - "Will you share what exactly you started doing while reading newspapers that helped?"

My response - While reading newspapers I carefully looked at sentence structures. Why the author is using subjunctives, why commas, why semi colons, why modifiers etc. I saw idiioms at various places. Apart from that I analyzed the articles and tried to sum up (key points, conclusion etc). In short I was treating newspapers and books as my Verbal materials. It is very important to lay hands upon quality newspapers and books not the ones such as timesofindia or economictimes. Hope this helps.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:54 pm
lakskant wrote:Thanks Patanjali.

Your question - "Will you share what exactly you started doing while reading newspapers that helped?"

My response - While reading newspapers I carefully looked at sentence structures. Why the author is using subjunctives, why commas, why semi colons, why modifiers etc. I saw idiioms at various places. Apart from that I analyzed the articles and tried to sum up (key points, conclusion etc). In short I was treating newspapers and books as my Verbal materials. It is very important to lay hands upon quality newspapers and books not the ones such as timesofindia or economictimes. Hope this helps.
Great response. It gives lot of insight. Thanks a ton. Fully agree with your perspective about timesofindia.

Some more questions - it will be great if you can answer them as well:

1) how did you prepare for CR?
2) time management - what strategy you had for verbal
3) what all CAT you used
4) I am sure when you were preparing last you would have reviewed OG12 again, but in many cases you would have remembered the correct answer. Am I correct? If yes, how did you manage them?

Thanks a lot for patience and time.

regards,
Patanjali

by lakskant » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 am
For Critical Reasoning good practice is the only solution. You have to get used to the GMAT CR patterns.

I recommend the following books -
1. Powerscore CR Bible
2. OG 12
3. OG verbal
4. MGMAT CR book
5. CR Practice content on GMATPREP CD

For CR, understanding both the question and the stem is very important. After you read a stem try to paraphrase the content once and then read the question. After reading the question try to come up with your own answer. This will instigate an active process while dealing with the CR questions. And then finally see each option to find the correct answer. Also for CR questions you have to immediately reject any answer choice that does not relate to the stem. GMAT loves to put certain answer choices that sound very convincing at first but they are actually traps. Any answer choice should fall inside the scope of the CR stem so before marking the answer you have to check its validity.
For boldface questions, you need to identify the main conclusion first. Then check whether the bold face sentences strengthen or weaken the conclusion together OR do the bold faces oppose each other. Then look as to how these individual bold faces relate to the main conclusion. This strategy works well.
It is very important to practice for GMAT CR using reliable sources only. Quality rather than quantity is the crux. Using 1000CR LSAT document or any other irrelevant CR materials can spoil the preparation. Remember you have to focus only on the type of questions that are asked in the real GMAT test. The more the 700+ level questions you answer correctly the more your score will jump into the 700 + range. So practicing irrelevant content that no way relates to the real GMAT is a waste of effort and time.

by shreenag » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 am
Wow! Amazing perseverance!
Your story is truly an inspiration for me.
All the best for the future rounds.
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.

by KAS1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 am
By far one of the best stories on this forum. You were persistent and determined to get above 700! So congratulations! Very well deserved.

Thanks for all the tips as well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mourinhogmat1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm
You are my hero. I am on my third attempt as well. So, far I have a 650 and 680. I need to break the barrier of 40 in Verbal consistently. What's your advice on purely verbal score increase? My problem in the last test was that SC I was finding it easier to answer but RC I was getting a lot of tough questions.

So, CR and RC whats your strategy? By the way did you have a feeling in your last test (something from your gut) which said that you were doing well? I had that feeling in Quant! That actually reflected in my higher score in quant. 49--> 50.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mourinhogmat1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm
You are my hero. I am on my third attempt as well. So, far I have a 650 and 680. I need to break the barrier of 40 in Verbal consistently. What's your advice on purely verbal score increase? My problem in the last test was that SC I was finding it easier to answer but RC I was getting a lot of tough questions.

So, CR and RC whats your strategy? By the way did you have a feeling in your last test (something from your gut) which said that you were doing well? I had that feeling in Quant! That actually reflected in my higher score in quant. 49--> 50.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by daedalus3 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:13 am
Great job!
So I will take a shot at answering your question on number of attempts and the impact on your application. So here's what I think:

Bad stuff first.
Cons:
1) You took it 6 times. It is hard to justify that. I hear the thumb rule is 3 attempts after which adcoms will definitely wonder why you needed more. You may want to write an optional essay to your targeted schools to try and justify that number. You would not want to tell them that you took it without studying etc.
2)Your scores (especially the last 3 attempts) do not show continuous improvement. Certain adcoms may flag that as well. Again , I guess you need to 'explain' what happened in some way through your applications (essays, interview etc.) Does your AWA show the same volatility or is that improving/steady? If it is improving/steady, you can talk/write to that to show some sort of stability or improvement. You don't want to come across as volatile ;)

Now the good stuff - Pros:
1) You are above 700, sufficiently above, but I'm sure you know that :). You have a GOOD +80th %tile split for Verbal and Quant, a very decent score in that aspect too. You are DONE with it finally!
2) The last 3 scores should show on your final report. The First attempt should not even be tracked anymore (more than 5 years old?
3) You are one of the select few who has taken the risk of giving it more than 3 times and then 'lived' to get a +700 score and write about it too. I remember a guy who got 720 after 5 attempts and got into Sloan so there is definitely scope n hope. Not sure which forum it was on but you should google that and try to reach out to him. This uniqueness must count for something, and you must weave it into applications as a measure of dogged determination/perseverance and all that. Take cues from that other guys if he is willing to share.
4) Consider your 6 attempt 720 as a 3 (or lesser) attempt 700, and measure yourself against your select schools accordingly (GMAT median, app pool competition etc.). I list this as an advantage because it will help you strive harder to strengthen other aspects of you application.

by KAS1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 am
daedalus3 wrote:
Bad stuff first.
Cons:
1) You took it 6 times. It is hard to justify that. I hear the thumb rule is 3 attempts after which adcoms will definitely wonder why you needed more. You may want to write an optional essay to your targeted schools to try and justify that number. You would not want to tell them that you took it without studying etc.
2)Your scores (especially the last 3 attempts) do not show continuous improvement. Certain adcoms may flag that as well. Again , I guess you need to 'explain' what happened in some way through your applications (essays, interview etc.) Does your AWA show the same volatility or is that improving/steady? If it is improving/steady, you can talk/write to that to show some sort of stability or improvement. You don't want to come across as volatile ;)
I'm going to disagree with you about justifying the number of times he took the GMAT. I spoke with an admissions counselors at an Ivy League school and she said that they don't really care how many times you took the GMAT. They actually want to know if you tried to take it more than once to see if you could get a better score. The fact that lakskant took the GMAT 6 times only shows how determined he was to get the score he wanted. It shows that he is one of the few people who didn't let a low score discourage him from continuing.

lakskant - if I were you, I'd definitely talk about the number of times I took the GMAT to show the adcoms how much I want to get an MBA. And that clearly shows from the number of times you took the GMAT. Make it a positive experience!

by lakskant » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:34 pm
@ mourinhogmat1 ,

Hey I have mentioned my strategies in my posts. Please read them again.
In the last test my feeling was that I was doing well. This happened because I was able to get to the answers without much thinking. I was not getting confused between choices. May be my practice helped a lot.

by lakskant » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 pm
@deadalus 3,

My three recent scores do show improvement on the verbal and AWA

5th attempt Jun 2012 Score 720 (94th percentile) Q-49 ; V-39, AWA - 5.5
4th attempt Mar 2012 Score 640 (74th percentile) Q-46 ; V-32, AWA - 4.5
3rd attempt Dec 2010 Score 660 (81th percentile) Q-49 ; V-30, AWA - 4.0

Thanks for your other inputs

by lakskant » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:40 pm
Thanks KAS for your last post. You are so sweet.

Even many people are telling me the same that schools consider only last three scores. And cometimes even after getting a 700 plus many people dont get admit.

So definitely the battle is only half way through. The remaining battle is with pleasing the adcom for secruing a final admission. The best part with GMAT is that you can use a score for five years and re-apply still. No like Indian schools that expect the candidate to re-take everything from scratch again.

by shreenag » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:53 am
Hi Lakshmikanth,

First of all congrats on getting a 720.Amazing determination u have!

I had a query:

How do you improve RC?
Which books to follow.I have Aristotle RC99 but it doesn't give any strategies as such.
just lots and lots of practice passages.Should I follow Mgmat RC guide?
I am confused here.
Pl help me out.

By the way best of luck with your application process.
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.